New to ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmum, Dec 3, 2013.

1. duckmum

duckmum New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Hi there, I am fairly new to the world of ducks, we purchased 3 Khaki Campbell ducklings back in June (they were 5 days old) and two weeks ago we started getting our first eggs, they laid one per day for the first six days but they always laid them in their pond which is a kiddies pool. My friend told me they were no good to eat even though we changed the pond water evey day and to tip their pond out at night so they'd stop laying in it, so we did. The morning after we first tipped it out they laid a soft shell egg and since then we have not had any more eggs (it's been a week now). The ducks eat chicken layer pellets (as we have chooks too) and freerange in our backyard during the day. Today when I went to let the ducks out I noticed white milky wee type stuff in big puddles in their enclosure. Is this normal? Or are they sick? Why are they not laying anymore? I am worried... Thank you.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I find that some of my runners need more calcium than the chicken layer can provide. I add a 23% calcium gluconate solution to water (a teaspoon per half cup) that I use to moisten their feed, and that helps.

I don't know that I am sure what you are describing. Wee as in urine? Are they making normal feces as well?

I agree you are right to be concerned and figure out what is going on. It may or may not be serious, I just don't have a good handle on it from what I read, yet.

Until you can get the gluconate, you could use oyster shell on the side, or even sprinkle some in their food. You could thoroughly clean egg shells and grind them up finely and add to the food (there are instructions for doing that here and there on the forum).

Do they eat spinach? That can interfere with calcium absorption.

Since they just started with their laying, it could just be a blip, too.

Are they playing hop on top?

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    It happens sometimes, do they get oyster shell? doesn't matter if their on layer or not, i would provide the extra anyways, i actually use no layers here(too many ages, sexes too) ... but i do provide oyster shell.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. duckmum

duckmum New Egg

Dec 3, 2013
    Thanks for the reply,I will increase their calcium intake and hope that fixes the problem. Yes, they are playing hop on top lol. The white milky looking stuff could have been poop, but as it looked like a small puddle (or smear) I thought it might have been urine. They did get into the vege patch this week and we do grow spinach but it looks like they didn't touch it, they were too busy eating all our seedlings [​IMG]...

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We had several soft eggs when the ducks were just getting started. They would apparently put pressure on the unshelled egg and it would pop out. I think it was just because their systems were not yet fully mature. But do keep an eye on them . . . oviduct problems can get serious, and making sure they get enough calcium is a good management practice.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by