New to ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HeierFam, Mar 1, 2015.

1. HeierFam

HeierFam New Egg

Jan 3, 2015
    We got two little ducklings yesterday at TSC and I was wondering how long before we can introduce them to water?

2. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    I've raised ducks and other water fowl for years. We too, also got some ducks from TSC. Within 2 days of having them, we introduced them to water. They love it! You can fill up a large bowl or bucket and let them swim around.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome HeierFarm, remember to watch the ducklings every moment! They can get into such trouble left alone in water.

They may get tired after only a few minutes, so watch for that. The water needs to be about 90F, I kept the depth of the water no deeper than their bellies so they could stand up when tired. Make sure they return to a warm brooder, and if mine did not start preening right away I would wipe them dry with a washcloth.

There is a Sticky on Raising Ducklings, and Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks is a good resource.

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    i introdue my ducklings to water 12 hours after birth to help with the muscles in the legs.

5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I start my ducklings swimming when they are 2 days old, so long as they are all eating and drinking well and look strong. I feel like any earlier than that is too early as they are still recovering from hatching and possibly not strong enough to deal with that added activity. When they are hatched naturally with a hen, she waits at the nest with the ducklings typically at least two days before taking them off to explore and swim (to be sure all have hatched that will hatch). I think they have the right idea and ducklings should be kept in their brooder the first two days without too much added stress in life. Those days are for them to recover from the hatching process and learn how to eat and drink. Just my two cents. :)

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    actually everymother wild mallard we have had as soon as there babies are dry they jump in the pond same for my own mallards that nest bythe pond.

7. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome,
    I put my ducklings in the pool after a couple days. Always supervised and with a little island to stand on if they get tired. It looked like they were having a blast! Afterwards, there would be a heat lamp available. I found they would preen like adults after the pool was converted back to brooder.

[​IMG]

Enjoy,
    Rich

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by