New to dyi chickens and coops!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mariaG, Feb 1, 2016.

1. mariaG

mariaG New Egg

Feb 1, 2016
    Hello everyone...I'm Maria and lived on a working farm growing up and want to get back into it on a much smaller scale...what to start with chickens first because they are interesting to watch and eggs are one of my husband's favorite eats...
    But not sure how to start...going to build coop first,but how big should it be?, then...
    Should I hatch chicks or buy hens already laying? And where should I buy them?
    Just thought I could get some insight from the experts

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Maria, [​IMG]

Your questions should be pretty well covered by articles in the Learning Center:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

A lot about raising chickens has to do with what works best for you. Coop size is dictated by things like how many chickens do you want, how much do you want to spend building it (or having it built), how much land are you willing to put toward it, etc. Whether you hatch chicks, buy chicks or buy pullets...again, it depends on what works for you. There are quite a few places to get chickens; online hatcheries, swap meets, feed stores, other members on BYC.

Maybe once you see some of the Learning Center articles, it will help you narrow down what it is you want.

Good luck and have fun!

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Maria, Welcome to Backyard chickens. Rule of thumb is to allow 4-5 sq. feet per bird inside the coop (excluding roosts and nest boxes) . Allow 10 sq.feet per bird in the outside run. A run cover is generally a very good idea. Wire ones will keep flock inside, and raptors outside. A solid top can provide some shade/ and protection from rain, sleet, snow .

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the coop dimensions that drumstick diva gave you. I personally prefer purchasing chicks to older pullets for the following three reasons. First, chicks are much more readily available at a much cheaper price. Second, there is a much larger breeds selection of chicks available. Third, you can easily tame the chicks by giving them treats and holding them as they grow up. Older pullets can be very skittish and difficult to tame depending on how they were raised. X2 on NorthFlChick; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to BYC Maria. I'd suggest making the coop a lot bigger than the flock you originally plan for, because chicken maths is a chronic condition that we all suffer from [​IMG].

Good luck with your plans

CT

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by