1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Easter Eggers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BLaBauve, Dec 9, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I bought a "Ameraucana" today, but they're actually EE's, right? I've never had an EE and had a few questions. Do most of them end up with beards? How likely are you to get blue or green eggs from them? I'm attaching a few (not so great) pictures of her. . . does anyone have any pictures of one with similar colors? Are they good layers? Oh, she is from Randall Burkey Hatchery.

Thanks!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yes, it's an easter egger.

Yours will be bearded. If it has a pea-comb and it is a pullet, it stands a good chance of laying a blue/green egg. There are exceptions. I have a real pretty dark silver one, hatched from a blue/green egg and she lays a tan colored egg. [​IMG] She's bearded too, and pea-combed.

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    How do you know she'll be bearded? Because of the fuzz there now? Thanks!

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Yup! [​IMG]

5. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I'm still hoping someone may have some pictures of EE's this color? Thanks!

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    There is no real way to calculate or know the probability of her laying a colored egg, because you know absolutely nothing about her parentage.

She seems like she might start to look like something similar to a welsummer color, but I can't be sure. Pictures won't really help, as all EEs are individual, and even if they have the same "wild-type" color they will all usually have a different throw on it. For instance, I have four EEs. One is a true "wild-type", one has a buff-laced-chocolate butt, that fades to buff/gold on her chest/head, one that is colored like a welsummer, and one that I can only describe as blue-birchen, with some fawn type brown as well (lighter than a chocolate).

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    also their adult colors and patterns are likely to be VERY different from what they are now.

8. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I'm new to Easter Eggers, too, and I have one girl. There's a recent good thread started by KatytheChickenLady (I think?). It's for EE braggers, and a lot of people have posted with pictures, too. I have been finding it interesting to see all the different body & egg colors, plus variations on feathering for their beards and muffs. You might find it interesting to read & post your own pictures. It's here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=273489

9. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I have a question how big are Easter Egger eggs?

10. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:You will never know - because you dont know how far bred they are from ameraucana/araucana blood, and what they have been crossed with - unless you know their parentage.

I've got one girl that is SOLID. When I say that, I mean it. She is probably at least 9 pounds. Then I have anouther, who is much more slim and probably only weighs 5, maybe 6 pounds. One that weighs 5 or less, and one that weighs about 6-7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by