New to egg laying.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdgirl408, Feb 6, 2015.

1. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Hi all. I have just read through some of the posts in the thread about first egg pictures. It does answer a question I was going to ask: Do you weigh your eggs?
    Obviously this cant be done all the time, but as I am new to all this business I wondered if anyone else did as I do. My remaining two Buff Orpingtons are now laying and the weight of their eggs vary between 58gms to 64gms. I wondered if this was good (as I am very proud!! [​IMG] ) That is between about 2oz and 2 1/2oz.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I sort my eggs by size before I sell them, so I weigh all of my eggs. A 2 oz egg is large, 2.25 extra large, and 2.5 jumbo. :) The largest egg I ever weighed was 3.35 ounces. YOUCH.
    [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I started weighing my eggs when my pullets started laying this summer, just to track the size increase(it took a long time for them to start laying 'large' ones).

Then I started weighing what I called 'pullets dozens', which took up to 18 eggs to make a dozen between Large(24oz) and Xlarge(27oz) so as not to drop my price or short my few customers because the pullet eggs were so small.

I'm still weighing dozens to sell at a minimum of 24 ounces per dozen(large) but am getting close to not needing to do that anymore as most the pullets are laying large and some of the older hens are coming back online.

Here's the chart I found handy.

[​IMG]

I use this scale, with a bottle cap to steady the egg.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks PrairieChickens and Aart for the info. So, I am well pleased as it seems by your charts and sizes my lovely girls are laying large to extra large eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by