New to eggs--do they get bigger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polychickens, Aug 9, 2007.

1. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Ok, so I am looking at these first eggs wondering if future eggs will be larger in size as the chickens continue to mature? My eggs look tiny compared to the store bought kind.

Thanks!
    Polychickens
    '...so many pretty girls I can't count 'em.'

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    As your hens mature the eggs will get larger. It takes a little time for them to get up to speed and get all the kinks worked out. [​IMG]

3. homechick

homechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Mineola, Tx
    My eggs are half the size of store bought! But I have bantams.. they are so tiny!!

4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    When my girls first started laying, the eggs were really small. In fact, we were unable to eat the eggs for the first 2 weeks of their laying because we had them on ATB therapy after I got out of the hospital. Since we were unable to eat the eggs while ATB cont. we were able to look at the eggs and watch how they grew in size. We just numbered them so we knew what order to put them in. When it was time to throw away the ATB eggs and start eating the eggs, it was amazing just how much the eggs had grown in size. This two week time period also gave us a chance to see where everyone was laying, and to fix one of our chickens who wanted to lay it on the floor in the coop.

5. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    If you have bantams, the eggs will always be smaller. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by