New to EVERYTHING about chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lanegrove, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Lanegrove

Lanegrove In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2018
    Hi my name is Lanie. I live in beautiful Yukon, OK with my boyfriend and our two lovely dogs. We recently moved out here onto a 1.75 acre plot. We have decided to have our own backyard chickens and recently built our coop from the ground up! We do not have any chickens yet- as we are in the process of building our run. I have my heart set on a couple of breeds that i believe may suit our environment. I have tired to do as much research as I can. But, I believe hearing it from experience is best! I am open to any comments or criticisms in what i post. Thanks for the welcome!

2. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome to BYC, Lanie! Great to have you here!

3. Phoenixheart14

Phoenixheart14 Chirping

Mar 15, 2018
    :welcome

What breeds were you thinking?

Good luck!

4. Lanegrove

Lanegrove In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2018
    I was thinking Buff Orphingtons & Wyandottes. I've read that they're rather quiet, decent egg layers, and cold / heat tolerant. Is that true?

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Lots of folks like BO. I've not had any, and they are not on my list for personal reasons. I have had SL Wyandottes and am pleased with them.

Other breeds that I really enjoy: Dominique, EE, PBR, Buck Eye, Ameraucana, Black Australorpe.

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi Lanie and welcome to BYC. Personally, I'd get as many breeds as feasible to begin with - that way you'll learn which breeds suit your needs and environment sooner.

BlueHenDel, Teila, ronott1 and 5 others like this.
  7. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    Ive had BO's and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE and highly recommend them! Excellent temperament, especially if they will be pets and especially if you want to keep a roo. Black Australorps are like the aussie version of Orpington as they originate from the black orpingtons (which is just another color of orpington, there are many colors!)
    good luck choosing! Chickens are the best:jumpy

Also- Welcome to BYC, were so happy to have you! Hope you enjoy the site as much as we do!

:welcome:wee:wee

8. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Just be sure you build your coop big enough to accommodate current and future additions. Minimum space recommendations are 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. More is better. Ventilation = to 10% of floor space, or 1 s.f./bird. Perch space 1 l.f./bird, at least 12 - 15" away from back wall, 18" below ceiling, with at least 4 feet of open space in front of perch. I strongly recommend a walk in style coop.

10. Phoenixheart14

Phoenixheart14 Chirping

Mar 15, 2018
    My personal favorites for egg layers are faverolles, but they're a bit harder to find. I have Australorps and absolutely adore them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: