New to everything chicken!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by peeperkeeper7, Jun 24, 2016.

1. peeperkeeper7

peeperkeeper7 New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Ohio
    Hello, just moved into our own farmette....inherited 8 chickens from old owner..unfortunately raccoons got 6 of them our first week here! We r left with a hen and a rooster. It has been rough and the coop is large but in disrepair. It has been a month and we have cleared out the chicken runs and shoveled out the coop...we bought some new baby chicks today and while they spend time in our bathroom we plan to bring the coop up to par...now..where to start. . We know nothing!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - glad that you have joined us.

I'd say the best place to start is reading up on how to take care of chicks. You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congrats on getting your chicken adventures started :clap I'm sorry to hear about the raccoon attack, always so sad when we lose them like that. Please do check out the links CT left for you, I'm sure you will find them most helpful.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. Mmn Amna

Mmn Amna New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Hi am new here & glad 2 join u guyz

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    You've been given some great links. Good luck! Darn racoons. [​IMG]

6. Mmn Amna

Mmn Amna New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Tnx

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Raccoons are one of the nastiest predators you can encounter. Please check out the predator threads for advice on keeping them away. Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Mmn Amna

Mmn Amna New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Tnx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by