1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to "everything"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmorrismetal, Apr 14, 2016.

1. jmorrismetal

jmorrismetal New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    I took my Daughter to a friends house and she enjoyed the chickens and decided to make a project we could both learn something from.

I have never raised them or anything else so its a step by step project. I do have a lot of "stuff" though and dug through it and put together an incubator for step 1.

It is an old fridge that died some years ago, a hot dog roller (stainless and actually never used) and a PID controller.

Since that video I added a humidity control that switches a vaporizer on when low and is keeping humidity between 60.9% and 62.5%. I also went with two 25 watt bulbs and that maintains temp between 99.8 and 100.1 deg F.

I have read and watched many pages/videos for information and have 22 eggs at day 6 so far.

Any input from the "been there done that" crowd?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It sounds as if you have prepared - good luck for a successful hatch.

3. jmorrismetal

jmorrismetal New Egg

Apr 14, 2016
    I couldn't tell anything at first but today is day 10 and I can make out the air cell on the left and see it moving around inside the egg. Must have everything OK so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by