New to Forum and am keeping "illegal" chickens

stacym

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Kennard, Nebraska
Hi! I live in a small town in a farming area. We currently have five black Australorps that we are keeping in a pen behind our garden shed. I have not petitioned our village board about keeping chickens.
My neighbors have a Pit Bull that they have told everyone is an American terrier. Which, is correct. It is an American Terrier Pit Bull. There is an ordinance against this dog in our village. Luckily, it seems to be a pretty laid back dog, so I don't have a problem with it. What gets my goat is that they are constantly looking over into my yard because they know I have birds and they don't like it one bit. Mind you they are currently renting the 800 sq. ft house next door with 4 little kids, a Pit Bull, cat and a large hunting dog all living in the house.
Meanwhile because we live on a double corner lot I have my birds 30 ft from all my neighbors homes. They are in their own cage and make no noise. (very calm ,beautiful birds)
In our village ordinances can only be enforced if the village takes you to civil court. Which they have never done to anyone no matter what the offense. (It costs them to much and they may be counter sued is what I am told) Instead they send out notices to people that "transgress" and attempt to fine you.
I know that normally I would stay under the radar with the village board. However, I am worried that the renting neighbors will probably turn me in. The sad thing is that I actually welcomed them when they came. The neighbors on the other side turned them into the cops about the dogs when they got loose, however they are now fast friends with those neighbors and are now looking to cause a headache for me. The way they act you would think that my birds are walking carriers of Ebola!
Any help or advice would be appreciated!

There is a difference in an American terrier and a pit bull. They look alike but they aren't the same dog. The American Strafford Terrier is the full name of them. The other is a Pit Bull. So your neighbors are right about their dog. I don't know what to tell you about keeping your birds.
Chris

Are they looking into your yard because they're admiring your birds? Or because they want to report you?
One idea -- Kids LOVE chicks and chickens. If you can sway the kids to love your birds, that might help. Tell the kids you'll give them a chick to have as a pet in their back yard.

Last edited:
Actually, it's called an american staffordshire terrier and it's related to the american pit bull terrier, but is a different breed in itself.

Welcome to BYC
big_smile.png

Quote:
Really - civil court? I'm not doubting you one bit, but this is unusual. Must be a very small community if they rely on the trail court system to settle issues this local.

Quote:
Well - dogs are dogs and chickens are chickens, and they manner in which you manage your animlas very different ffrom theirs, so I wouldn't worry that you will be lumped in with your crazy neighbors. Don't them them intimidate you in any way, that's what they want.

When people get fines for a "transgression" - do you have any idea what the notices actually say? Generally, if there is a violaltion then the regulation in violation has to be named in the notice and I'm really curious how the village manages that.

smile.png

~Phyllis

Back
Top Bottom