New to forum and need some help please...

whisman2

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
Alaska
My wife and I have a bunch of chickens. We have hatched them ourselves via the incubator. However, one of our chickens that we hatched this spring has been laying on some eggs she and others have laid. My wife has left them alone to see what would happen as we have never had "natural birthed" chicks before. As of last night, 3 little heads popped out. So my question is this, what do we feed them? We have usually fed chick starter to them, but we were not sure if the momma would feed them or not. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hatched chicks. I would put chick starter in with the hen and chicks. I would separate the new family from the rest of your flock. Don't worry mama hens usually know what is best. She will see her new brood had water and food. Your hen will teach her family everything they will suspose to know. Have fun watching how your hen and the chicks interact. There is nothing like seeing the chicks resting on their mama's back and under her wings.

frow.gif
i have hatched chicks for many of years naturally just leave a shallow dish of chick feed in reach and a shallow dish of water so they dont drown. Hope this was helpful Congrats in hatching little bundles of joy.

Thanks for the quick response. I will pass it on to my wife. She is at home with our own brood of 7 and I am currently deployed. So she is handling it and taking pictures and emailing them to me. All the kids are excited and so are we. Again, thanks and have a wonderful day.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom