1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to forum and to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 2hot2chicken, Jul 19, 2011.

1. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Hello all
    Just joined forum tho I have been reading it for a few weeks now.
    Got our 1st chickens ever this spring.
    Started with day old chicks from local feed store:
    4 RIR
    4 BR
    Didnt like the RIR temperment so well so we sold them all and 1 BR
    Then aquired 5 st run Ameraucana chicks 3 days old.
    2 ended up roos so they hit the road.

Now have 3 BR bout 5 mths old and 3 Ameraucana bout 3 mths old running round my back yard.
    Including some of the pictures of our coop we built and its run. (though run still not done) The free range my (and my neighbors yard on occation:D)(with permission of course) during the day.

I am lucky and I live in Aloha, OR. Which as it turns out is an unencorrporated city with limited laws pertaining to animals.......
    I have no limits on how many I can have:celebrate I just have to have my coop 30 feet from my property line..... Which its not but my neighbors love my chickens so they wouldnt care if the coop was on the line! They even call them over the fence into their yard from time to time and feed them!
    Though we plan to keep the number at around 6 (as far as my husband is concerned) (10 as far as I am concerned and thats what counts since I take care of them most of the time).
    I will be getting some more chicks this week (Hopefully:fl if they can get em for me) 4 Blue andalusians day old... and the problem..... 8-10 bearded silkie chicks of any age. As it turns out Silkie chickens are pretty hard to find locally here in Portland, Oregon area...... Few or no silkie breeders that I can find so far anyway. I have ordered them from a local store that is actually a garden store whos owner loves chickens and thus breeds/raises/sells them. He knows and orders from many local area breeders on the west coast. I also get my 100% locally grown organic food from them which I found to be 200% better than the crap my feed store sells.

I will be rehoming my aggressive BR and 1 of the Ameraucanas I believe is not pure bred to keep 2 andalusians and 2-4 silkies. 2 of my BR are sit on your lap and eat out of your hand, be carried around by the kids sorta chickens but 1 is kinda nasty and mean to the Ameraucana chicks as well. I chose the BR for egg production, Ameraucana for interesting eggs, andalusians and silkies so my 7 year old can start showing in 4H this fall. Since they are nearly impossible to find any in my area I know they are more rare than other breeds and going to be good choices for her to show. We were gona do the same thing with the rabbit but after we got her we found out they are pretty strict bout breeding for rabbits and all we know is ours is a rex mix but don't know with what. So know she is just a spoiled pet and wouldn't have it any other way (fat lazy thing she is).

Anyway, my coop. Coop itself is 8 ft x 4 ft x 7 ft tall at peak. all cedar with insulated metal roof.
    Chicken run (when done) 14 ft x 8 ft x 6 ft tall. with chicken wire that has only quarter size holes. Chicken wire will be burried 6 inch in ground as well to prevent critters from digging in. Though I have a very protective blue heeler who guards the chickens and the yard.
    6 nest boxes (tho they are still not laying yet)
    Our custom built feeder is the pvc pipe. holds bout 25lbs of food! and all natural branch perches.
    Leme know what you think....

Ok so pics will come later as Idk what my husband did with them???? maybe put em on his lap top?
    Thanks
    Amanda
    Oh and for the rest of my brood
    Husband, Me, 2 girls (7 and 4) and 1 more due end of september, 1 old blue heeler/border collie x, 1 indoor cat, 1 rabbit, 6 chickens.

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Hi and [​IMG] .If you got your Ameraucanas at a feed store none of them will be pure. They are what we call Easter Eggers (EE's) which are super nice in their own right.

3. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    A local breeder traded a bunch of ameraucana chicks for feed. She was down on funds and out of food. 2 of the 3 look and have all of the breed standards from what information I could find. the only thing different with 1 of them is when it was a chick it was a little bit lighter in its markings and turned out to have yellow legs instead of the gray/blue the other 2 have and the tail feathers are a little bit different. I could be wrong and they could all be EE but the 2 really look like Ameraucanas to me. The feed store had the Ameraucana chicks and some other chicks mixed together from 2 different sources so 2 could be from the breeder and the other from the mixed group? Who knows.........[​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello from Louisiana [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from a sizzling Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan! You are so blessed to have such great neighbors. You'd better give them some eggs!

9. 2hot2chicken

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    You are so blessed to have such great neighbors. You'd better give them some eggs!

Tell me about it! I plan on giving them all the eggs I can. We just bought our house in January of this year and were SOOOO blessed to get great understanding and sweet neighbors. We have a corner lot and thus only have back neighbors and on 1 side. The great neighbors are at my back. My neighbors next to me are ok with them Im assuming.... 7 months and we have yet to meet! They are aaaa lil bit odd. Last week they left for a few days but as they were loading up the adults were well dressed like hippy fairies? Wings and all! Pretty comical to say the leased:lau I said Hi when walking by 1 day but they ignored it. Their kids come over and play with mine tho and they said they used to have chickens sooo I don't think there will be any problems. If they do I will have a few things to say bout their huge dogs and the smell and them leaving for days at a time and me having to water their dogs throught the fence cause they were dying of heat in very hot weather!​

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by