New to forum & chickens. Free range or coop?

A coop it is then.

Thanks!

I'm originally from Massapequa. Then Cape Coral, Fl. Now, Friendsville, Tn. I may move once more (eventually) to Jefferson Co., Tn.

My suggestion is to have a very predator-proof coop and always lock them up at night. Also have a decent sized, fairly predator-proof run to keep them in during the day when you want to lock them up. I don't know if you are planning on getting chicks to raise or already grown hens, but when you first put them in the coop, lave them in the coop for about a week until they get used to it as a safe home where they want to be at night. Then let them have access to the run. Leave them locked in the coop and run for at least another week so they can get used to that. Then, when you are going to be home and feel comfortable doing it, let them out for about an hour before sunset. Hang around where you can watch or at least hear them if something happens. Then adjust as your comfort level allows.

By predator proof coop, I mean a coop that has dig protection, either because of the floor or one that has an apron of wire around it. By apron I mean an 18" to 24" strip of welded wire or better, preferably 14 gauge, preferable plastic coated but at least galvanized, laid out horizontal to the ground and attached to the bottom of your coop. You can leave it on the top of the ground and weigh it down with rocks or something, or remove the sod, put the wire down, then replace the sod. An animal starts to dig, hits the wire, and does not know to back up. If you have a wood or concrete floor you obviously don't need an apron. Use decent hardware. Raccoons are strong and smart. They can rip off the cheap stuff and can open simple latches. Cover any opening 1" or larger, either blocking it off or securely attaching hardware cloth over it. They can climb real well too so make sure you cover any openings under the overhangs.

I say fairly predator proof run because runs are pretty hard to 100% predator proof unless they are little bitty things. Since you know you have raccoons around and the evidence is that your area is in their hunting territory, I'd suggest a welded wire fence around the run, also with an apron. 2" x 4" welded wire, at least 17 gauge but preferably 14 gauge, should work. Around the bottom 18" to 24" of the run, in addition to the welded wire, put chicken wire or heavier to keep the raccoons from reaching through the fence and grabbing hands full of chicken to munch on. Since raccoons can climb real well, I'd suggest a top on the run. The welded wire will keep the raccoons out, but you might consider a solid top to keep the run dry and provide shade. With your carpentry skills you can probably make this run predator proof, but I still strongly suggest locking them in the coop at night every night.

Since you are new to chickens, I'll give you some links to Pat's articles. Although you are not in a truly cold climate, I think all three should be required reading before anyone builds a coop and run. They are excellent. I grew up in East Tennessee, the Cumberland Gap area. We never insulated or heated our coop and the chickens did fine, even in below 0*F temperatures.

Pat’s Ventilation
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Muddy Run
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

Pat’s Winter Coop Temperatures
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

There are also coops with runs attached to them on wheels, so you can get your chickens around the yard in a protected enclosure.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from middle Tennessee! Before you get chickens or build anything, read, read, read! Look at the coops section and look at all the different designs and sizes. I highly suggest building a coop and run bigger than what you think you'll need. Check out the predators pages, also. That will give you an idea of what works and, more importantly, what doesn't! Since you know you have coons already, buy a Hav-a-hart trap at TSC or the farmer's co-op and start trapping now! I would also get rid of (or use) as much of the hay out of the barn as possible. If you start messing with their personal space, the coons might move on to other areas. They won't go far, but at least they will be out of the barn. You can use the hay for mulch, compost pile, erosion control, or use as insulation in winter over flower beds, bulbs, etc. If you can't use it all, then advertise on craigslist and give it away. A quick and not too expensive run is 1x2 welded wire over pvc pipe hoop style (think of the green houses they have in FL). I made a 10x10 run about 5'6" high with 8 3/4" pvc pipes and 4 10' pressure treated 2x4's. I put a plastic tarp over the top to keep rain from soaking their feeder and to provide shade. I have 12 chickens and they sleep in that every night (my coop isn't finished, but soon!). I turned a big rubbermaid type stock watering tank on it's side inside of it and they sleep inside that every night. It gives them shelter from rain blowing in and a place to retreat to if anything threatens them from outside the run (ie reaching through wire). They have been in that since they were 4 weeks old. I started letting them out to free range on the days I was off, then they graduated to being out every day. Initially they would stay close to the house and hang out under my shrubs in front of my porch, but as they got older and bigger they increased their range to all over my property (7 acres). Oh and you can put any question in the search box on the forum page and it will bring up any past dicussions about it. Good luck and have fun!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
to tn but i am in the west side of tn i thought we left fl to get colder weather lol it is going to be100 it going to feel like 117 you will love living here

get rid of that hay by throw it out on the fields were you want to plant a garden or burn it then put it the garden area.

yes coons, shunks, bobcats, coyette, foxes, snakes some parts bears of tenn. hawks

yes please make a coop to house your chickens in at night and in cold wet , snow weather in a coop remember 4 sq per bird that is not counting the area for nest boxes, feeders, waters, perches, just make should that you double the size of the coop. you will want more chicken down the row we all end up with more chickens hehe

you can make a run out hardwire colth or chain link and cover it the run is 10 sq per bird if you don t them free range or let them out 2 hours a day closes to dark

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom