New to forum from LA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChiknChief, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ChiknChief

ChiknChief Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Lillian, AL
    Hello fellow chicken fans. I've been a member for a while however I've never posted anything in the forum. I've recently realized what a valuable resource I've been wasting.

My wife and I are both retired Navy. We live in LA (Lower Alabama) about 10 miles from the Gulf on the Al/FL state line. We have Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Delawares, Australorps, Red Stars, Black Stars, New Hampshire Reds and in March we hatched about 15 Black Jersey Giants and 12 more New Hampshire Reds. That was our first attempt in the incubator and we were pleased with the results. We also have 15 goats (Nubians, Nigerian Dwarfs and a couple of mutts). We also have a retired Greyhound, and two shelter dogs whom I shall label blue ticked Labradors. We have an indoor cat and an outdoor cat. Last but not least, a friend gave me a pair of pigeons this last weekend. It's a well rounded barnyard and it will probably expand even further.

I enjoy seeing the magnificent chicken houses I see on these boards. Mine is much simpler and my chicken yard is pretty basic. All of our birds are pets, however, we are moving towards the meat birds and freezer stocking.

Any advice is welcome, especially with the pigeons.

2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Im thinking about getting some racing pigeons myself! Welcome from wa, and it sounds like ur already well established with lots of pets!

[​IMG]

3. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join. Sounds like you have your hands full.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome back to BYC. I'm retired Navy also.

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG]

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG] not retired Navy, my husband served Navy in first gulf war and my grandparents were BOTH Navy in WWII, that's how they met! My grandma is still living in her late 80's and she gets embarassed when I tell that story, but I love it! [​IMG]

8. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    Welcome from New Hampshire!

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Poppafrog