New to forum in Leesburg, VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shamrockmommy, Jan 22, 2013.

1. shamrockmommy

shamrockmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    My name is shammy, I live in central VA and finally got my farmette! It's a nice farmhouse on 5 or so acres and completely blank slate for us to have whatever critters we like.
    We come already with 3 dogs (2 are froo-froo house pets, 1 is a house dog to but she's very 'doggy' and will eat ANYthing) and 3 very old guinea pigs.
    Kids are interested in bunnies and doing 4H and I've wanted to do chickens for ages.

I have a coop on wheels and plan to do rotational pastures using electric poultry netting. I may be getting some older hens tomorrow while I wait till March for my day olds to arrive (dominiques and buff orps).

I will ask here but also perhaps in another forum... Given that my 1 doggy dog who eats EVERYTHING (poo, dead things, everything) do I need to worry about coccidia when I pull up the pen for rotation? That leaves one large area of chicken poo, she's very difficult to get to stop eating poo or 'drop it' command (she will run just out of reach and suck it down as fast as possible).

I am adopting 3- 2 yr old hens, I don't really know their background, except that they are 2 and have been free range. I've heard coccidia can be particularly nasty, so should I treat the hens when I get them? If so, with what? I plan to keep them in the coop for a week or so to accustom them to their new homes, and then the coop will be protected by the poultry netting.

Thanks!
    Shammy

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You dont have to worry about your dog getting cocci from chicken poop. The 2 year old hens you're getting will have built up immunity towards cocci because of their age, shouldnt be a problem.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

4. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]Hello [​IMG]

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, shammy, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best of luck to you and your birds!!

8. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Welcome from southern VA (Dinwiddie)

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Shammy, welcome to BYC, and congratulations on your new home. Coccidia are species specific; therefore, the coccidia that might affect your chickens will not affect your dogs.

10. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by