new to forum. just picked up 4 Buff Orp's and they are beautiful birds!

woodtrucker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
first time chicken owner here! The lady I bought them from seemed very knowledgeable about chickens. She said they were right at 6 mo. old and have started laying. We've had them going on our second day and I've been feeding them dumor layer crumbles. Thinking about going to local feed store food but was wondering if I'm ok to feed them the layer crumbles even though we haven't seen an egg.
She also recommended that I supplement with a separate container of calcium and oyster shell. I have done this and they free range under the chicken tractor. Getting ready to move them over to the garden this weekend so they can forage on what's left of roots, plants, etc.
Should I be doing anything differently regarding food? Haven't seen any eggs yet but they are probably still getting used to their new home. Had to put them on the roost pole last night and they all stayed put! Opened the coop this morning and after about three minutes all four beautiful ladies rolled out to the feeder and gulped up some water too. The kids went down and gave them some scraps from an apple my wife ate yesterday as a treat.
They look healthy and seem happy in their new home today!

welcome-byc.gif

If they're not laying at the moment they don't need any extra calcium. Too much calcium is not good for hens! They are probably a little stressed after the move and getting used to their new home, hence no eggs. But give them time and I'm sure they will reward you soon!

Congratulations!

Sounds like the lady you bought them from gave you good advice. Two suggestions - it sounds like you don't have water in their coop. They should have water available at all times.

I've found there can be a lot of waste using crumbles, you end up with a lot of powder. Try the pellets and see if your girls like them.

Happy chickening!
Carol

Back
Top Bottom