New to forum need help with my drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by smlpita, Mar 20, 2013.

1. smlpita

smlpita New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Oceanside
    hi. My drake is a little over 1 yr. He keeps attacking my feet and won't let me walk in the yard with out pecking and trying to trip me. I have put him on his back to dominate. I have wrapped him up in a towel. I have tried a no no bad duck pen. Nothing seems to help. And yes he does a wife pekin duck. Please help. I'm getting sad and frustrated.

2. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    He thinks he is num. 1 on pecking order you need to make him understand your the boss u must nip right away or he'll get worse trust me I know. A few things that work for me a firm loud no and get big like your a monster a bright colored fly swatter I just point at mine when they think of this behavior be consistent with this never letting him by with this behavior and never do what I did last summer I got so tired of their constant harassment I would try to out run them to keep from being tripped or bitten big no no it took me longer to reverse the prob. But I did remember your top dog.

3. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    Welcome to the Forum!!
    I had a drake like that once. Is your drake only aggressive with you? Or is he mean to your pekin too?

If he is just plain mean and aggressive with everyone, then you may have a problem here, and he may hurt your duck or kill any ducklings you try to adopt. If he's mean, he may be bad news for your flock (present and future).

If he's just bothering you, then it may just be a dominance or territory problem.

4. smlpita

smlpita New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Oceanside

5. smlpita

smlpita New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Oceanside
    He has tried to get my husband but not often. He loves his gal. It's only me and the older dog he goes after. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by