New to Forum & New to Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by offisland, Aug 5, 2011.

1. offisland

offisland New Egg

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi Everyone,
    As I mentioned in my subject line I have just joined the forum and am totally new to chickens! In fact, at this point I don't have any chickens and am just trying to learn. I joined the forum to find people in my area who are already raising backyard chickens and to find sources for different breeds without having to mail order 25 chickens - thought that might be a bit overwhelming for a newcomer! For years my spouse has said "NO" to chickens but has finally given in - now I'm finding myself somewhat timid to get started because I know so little. [​IMG] I have been reading "A Chicken in Every Yard" and am looking for the "pros" and "cons" of keeping chickens. Suggestions and comments welcome.
    Offisland

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] Just continue to read and learn .. and you'll continue to learn even after you have chickens.. jump right in .. it's all good!

[​IMG]

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome from OHIO!

For suggestions, I would say, figure out why you want to keep chickens. Is it for eggs? For meat? Both? Just as pets, or do you want the pretty chickens and you don't care about how many eggs you get? Would you like to eventually show or breed?

I did the same thing when I started, and was all prepared. Got my coop, and all the things needed to care for chicks and chickens. Then I found a hatchery that was an hour away, and went and picked up a small order of chicks. (Just 3).

Three years later, I've got 23 chickens and two turkeys, and I just love them!

One thing I think helped me, was getting free catalogs. Meyer hatchery has a really nice catalog, with good pictures and very good descriptions, like temperament, size, egg production and color, whether they like to free range or can be happy caged, cold and heat hardiness......Lots of good info!

Good luck, and take care!
    Sharon

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome! Good luck finding your new flock! I'm glad to hear your spouse has changed their mind! Having chickens has been a wonderful experience!

6. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from SW Ohio!!
    You are for sure at the right place to learn everything you will need to no!!

7. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Hi! and [​IMG] You're doing the same thing a lot of us did at first. Looking around and learning, asking questions... Remember everyone loves questions so go ahead and ask them! Good luck!

8. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    [​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens