New to forum....sleeping question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grog, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Hi all, my wife visits here frequently, but I am new. We have had chickens for years, but this is our first set of incubated babies. My question is.....

I have a chick that I had to manually hatch(BIG). He is a bit wobbly,NBD, but he seems to like to be on his back. Can he sleep this way or am I doomed to the all night watch? He was hatched about 4-5 hrs ago. He is dry and peeping. I think he was like 1 day premie, but he had pipped the shell already.( I got the how to for the hatch here BTW)

Any help with the sleep thing would be great. These are mutt chickens btw. We know the hens breeds, but we borrowed a rooster.

2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I've seen cute photos on this site of chicks sleeping on their backs. Hope you get a good nite's sleep and I'm betting your chick will thrive.

3. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I would try to prop him up against the edge against some paper towels (something soft) so that he's not on his back. That just doesn't seem like a good idea to let him sleep that way when he's a brand new hatchling. He may just be weak because he's a bit early and can't get himself into the right position and stay that way. I'd help him out just a bit and try to prop him.

4. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    The brooder has pine shavings for a floor, about 2in deep, and on top for now are some towels so the dont eat the bedding. I made a divit put him in the middle and stuck the other peepers around him. so far one of the siblings has stayed near him and he is still right side up. I am stuck up till midnight anyway for the final egg turn I will check him again then. I did a rolling incubation about 14 days worth. Next time I will do one set and will have a turner [​IMG]

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like you're doing just fine [​IMG] I'll hope for the best for the little guy. I bet by morning he'll be just fine.

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

You could make a sock cozy. Roll up the edges of a sock all the way to the toe so you have this donut like ring with the toe part in the center. Center the chick in the middle of the ring. That should hold him up. If he gets out of it he doesn't need it anymore. Congratz [​IMG]

7. Grog

Oct 1, 2011
    I like the sock cozy idea. I think I will do that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by