New to Forum though an avid follower!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TracyandEmori, Oct 1, 2016.

1. TracyandEmori

TracyandEmori New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Hello everyone! We have 10 chickens (black sexed linked, austrolorpe, bhrama, americana, Sicilian Buttercup and soon 5 Red star). I am currently dealing with an ill chicken. We've had her for 3 years, has been a fantastic layer...never sick until last night. But let me back up a bit....it has been HOT, crazy hot down here in Florida. All of our chickens laying has dropped off significantly. Diet, cool water, supplement of veggies/fruits, grit free choice, lots of time in yard (they have a large yard themselves but I turn them out onto the property everyday), coop is cleaned daily, nest boxes cozy....not sure the reason for the reduction in eggs other than the heat. So now..onto my problem with the sick chick.

Around 6 pm last night I noticed this chicken, Dip, in the nest box. She hasn't laid an egg in several days, so I thought it was an odd hour to be in the box but left her alone. Later that evening, 9 pm, I went to lock up and she was still in the box. I felt her abdomen and tush...seemed to feel a little hard. She squeaked a little when I picked her up and she pooped a little liquid. I felt that she may be egg bound..? So took her to take a warm bath, gave her some calcium (rolaids), massaged her gently, probed her vent and didn't feel anything. Took her out, but on a warm hair dryer and left her alone for about 45 min. After I came back she pooped a large amount of liquid brown stool and what looked like a dab or two of yellow looking yolk..possibly?
    Put her in the crate with water/food overnight. This morning, let her out and she went right to the water...drank a lot. Then into the nest box she went. She came down several times to drink and then back to box.....no egg. I've taken her out, felt her again..nothing seems amiss, no hard mass, clean tush, no prolapse. Gave her nutri drench. She is now just resting, not eating or drinking, no interest in scratching. So put her back in crate with food/water.

what do you all think? Think the egg ruptured inside?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. I'd strongly suggest that you post your question on the ER forum - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10 where hopefully the experts will be able to make suggestions. Please don't be too alarmed if you do not get an immediate response - its the weekend, but fingers crossed that you do get help very soon.

Best wishes
    CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Have you checked out this article on egg binding ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention Its very helpful with lots of advice. If there really is no egg there do you think she could be thinking about being broody? Just a thought with her hanging around in the nest box. Good luck with her and please do post in the emergency section.

Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. TracyandEmori

TracyandEmori New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    thanks for the article....I thought about the broody thing, but her lethargy doesn't seem to fit. She seems to feel bad. Still have her in a crate, outside in the shade where all the girls hang out. She's top chicken, so the others are keeping her company and she seems relaxed. I've posted in the ER thread too, hoping to see what comes of that.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Hope the folks in the Emergencies forum are able to help you out! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope she will be okay [​IMG]

8. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Definitely sounds like some kind of reproductive issue; egg binding and/or an internal egg break are some possibilities.

10. TracyandEmori

TracyandEmori New Egg

Oct 1, 2016
    Central Florida
    Good news, I think! I removed a leathery shell from her vent this morning. After that she drank again and ate a little. By the time I left this afternoon she was hanging out with the ladies, not hiding in the bushes! I'm thinking she may be on the road to recovery! I'm optimistic!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by