betR2

Chirping
Dec 12, 2017
Australia
Hi Everyone,

I've spent some time on the main site, learning and yearning, but have only just ventured to the forums. I look forward to sharing in the wealth of knowledge, meeting chicken owners from all over the world and finding out all about our different lives with poultry.

I am on the Central Coast of Australia, north of Sydney. I have had chickens before, some years ago, when I was lucky enough to babysit a small acreage. My teenagers loved them and we had the whole shebang with a rooster and our broody hen presented us with beautiful baby chicks, twice. We also suffered with rats and foxes which broke our hearts.

Now, I'm preparing to start a new flock. We are on a suburban block with a food forest backyard, which chickens will enjoy. We will be looking at about 6-8 chickens all up and I am still tossing up whether to go for only pullets and layers or get some young chicks for the grandchildren to enjoy. (as if it is only for the kids! hehe) I have a nice, purchased coop for up to 8 chickens and a chicken tractor coop on the way.

I am interested in a mix of Wyandotte, Isa Brown and Australorp breeds and have access to these from a reputable local breeder... if I get a move on.

I am into Permaculture (permanent agriculture) so am looking forward to bringing chickens into the fold to do some debugging and fertilising as well as preparing breakfast. There will be lots of love (and the endless supply of forage and feast) in return for their hard work.

Hubby and I are getting excited to meet our new girls!
I'm looking forward to meeting you, too.

Hello and welcome to BYC!
Sounds like you have a lot in common there, loving gardening and chickens. You will fit right in.
I want to caution you about package coops as they usually exaggerate how many chickens they will accomodate! You might want to check into that.
Hope you will post some pictures for us, we just love to see other peoples chickens and coops as well as gardens!

Back
Top Bottom