New to forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by splash gordon, Apr 23, 2011.

1. splash gordon

splash gordon New Egg

Apr 23, 2011
    hi everyone,

we are located in nj and have a small farmette. we would love to get some chickens as we are big egg eaters : ) 2 questions, is there a breed of chicken is that is quieter than other types. our neighbors are within hearing range and we don't want to annoy them. also, what do we need to do with the chickens in winter. do they need to be in an shelter like a garage or barn or can they live in their chicken coop with attached run.

thanks for the help!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hello and welcome to BYC

In the winter months the chickens can live in their chicken coop. They dont need to be brought in the house. They will be fine as long as they are cold hardy breeds. They will also need a good roost. But make sure it is wide enough for them to be able to sit on their feet to prevent frost bite. Some people decide to insulate their coops. It is really whatever you decide.

A good quite breed is a brahma or even a aruacana. There are more quiet breeds though, here is a link for BYC breeds index https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart

3. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

6. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

[​IMG]
    If you have cold winters, you may wish to get a breed with smallish combs, to prevent frostbite. (I learned this the hard way.)
    Enjoy the website!

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Hesperia,Ca [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    [​IMG] from Eastern Kentucky. You'll find someone to answer your questions on this board. [​IMG] We are all a pretty happy bunch (usually). [​IMG] Unless a fox eats our chickens, or...if we can't find the breed we want, or...if someone says something bad [​IMG] about our chickens...or...well you get it. Great to have you. And as far as a quiet chicken, not the chickens you really have to worry about (although I think Silkies are the quietest), it would be the roosters. I have a beautiful Polish Rooster who actually thinks he is an African Grey Parrot. He likes to land on my husbands shoulder. We've had him since he was a baby. His crow is well......croakey? I'm one of the great comedians on here. [​IMG]

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. [​IMG]

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by