New to geese, a few ???

Discussion in 'Geese' started by wj77, Aug 8, 2009.

1. wj77

wj77 In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Duluth MN
    I just acquired a pair of one year old aferican geese!! They are a year old and the female is laying eggs. They free ranged where they lived before. I will also let them range during the day. My plan was to keep them in the coop/run for the first few days then let them out during the day. Do you think that will be a problem? How often do they lay eggs? What do goose eggs taste like? Any special feed requirements? Geese are new to me but they are a very nice looking bird. Hopefully everyone gets along.

Thank You
    Wes

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:

3. wj77

wj77 In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Duluth MN
    Thanks Shelly. I will put them in the coop at night, we have a lot of predators around here. The people i got them from said the eggs are tasty, guess we'll find out.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My geese are babies (and I think they are both boys [​IMG]), but if geese eggs are anything like duck eggs, I won't be eating any! The duck eggs have a very 'earthy' smell to them, something I'm not interested in trying! But geese and ducks do have different diets, ducks being carnivores and geese being herbivores, so maybe the geese eggs won't be as earthy. [​IMG]

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    I have eaten goose eggs and didn't notice any "earthy" smell. my geese were on grass graze at the time. The reason I don't eat more of them is they are just too big! I am a hefty man but one fried or scrambled goose is more than I want for a meal. They are great for baking where you use a lot of eggs but the recipies have to be adjusted to make up for the fact that goose eggs are so large. If anybody can tell me just how long to boil a goose egg to produce a soft boiled egg I would like to know!

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Welcome to geese! I find them to be completely addictive. I have Africans too.

We need pictures of your geese. [​IMG] Just because.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: