New to Geese and need advice... please hep me

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jm93030, Jun 16, 2011.

1. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    I am interested in getting few geese to keep as pets
    There is a guy selling a trio of sebastopol 2 females and 1 male 3 months old

the parents came from Metzer Farms

He is asking $150 and I need to drive 2 hours to get them

Do you think is good price?

Also do they lay year round?
    or should I order Babys from Metzer or other hatchery?

I am totally ignorant of the geese world and need your point of vew

Thank you all

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    The price you are quoting is very close to the going rate in my area. Most hatcheries are sold out for the year. If it were me - I'd go for it. I have Ducks and Geese from Metzers and they are have done very well for me.

Geese do not lay year around. Depending upon where you live and weather conditions...I would expect them to start laying around March next year. Mine started in late Feb this year and went through the entire month of March and into April. I had 9 adult females nesting this last Spring. Make sure you have a secure place to keep your babies safe from dogs, coons, etc. Mine love to eat grass and are allowed to free range during the day but are locked away each evening.

Joni

3. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    [email protected] acres farm :

The price you are quoting is very close to the going rate in my area. Most hatcheries are sold out for the year. If it were me - I'd go for it. I have Ducks and Geese from Metzers and they are have done very well for me.

Geese do not lay year around. Depending upon where you live and weather conditions...I would expect them to start laying around March next year. Mine started in late Feb this year and went through the entire month of March and into April. I had 9 adult females nesting this last Spring. Make sure you have a secure place to keep your babies safe from dogs, coons, etc. Mine love to eat grass and are allowed to free range during the day but are locked away each evening.

Joni

[​IMG] Well said​

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Oh, I want Sebbies now. 2 hours drive from Oxnard (assuming California)? Anyone in Michigan want to go on a road trip?[​IMG]

5. jm93030

Jun 4, 2009
    Will be there any issues if this birds are related ?

if they are brothers and sisters?

can I still breed them?

6. jm93030

Jun 4, 2009
    What do you think of this boy for $40

Beautiful rare curly brested gray breeding male sebastapol 2 years old. Would like to sell to home with other geese to bond with
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by