New to Geese...Period

jarrecj155

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Hi Everyone...Glad to find a forum dedicated to Pomeranian Geese. I moved here on the farm and fell in love with my boyfriend's older Grey Saddleback Pomeranian. She was alone and hadn't been fooled with too much, so she is always leary of me no matter how often or nice I talk to her. So I decided to get my own Grey Saddlebacks from babies to raise so they would like me. I ordered a pair from Ideal Poultry on-line and got 13 roosters along with them in order to keep my baby geese warm! I got them all on February 14th and raised them all in a large box until a few weeks ago when I put them in a pen outside. My geese are strickly pets. Clover is the goose and Buster is the gander. Lucy is the older goose. I need to take some more recent pictures of them, maybe today.

The older goose is ready to lay eggs I suppose and is acting strange. Now she will get near me and she grabs my sleeve with her beak, lays almost flat on the ground and digs her feet back and forth with her toenails in the ground. What is she doing?

Thanks.

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Hi Everyone...Glad to find a forum dedicated to Pomeranian Geese. I moved here on the farm and fell in love with my boyfriend's older Grey Saddleback Pomeranian. She was alone and hadn't been fooled with too much, so she is always leary of me no matter how often or nice I talk to her. So I decided to get my own Grey Saddlebacks from babies to raise so they would like me. I ordered a pair from Ideal Poultry on-line and got 13 roosters along with them in order to keep my baby geese warm! I got them all on February 14th and raised them all in a large box until a few weeks ago when I put them in a pen outside. My geese are strickly pets. Clover is the goose and Buster is the gander. Lucy is the older goose. I need to take some more recent pictures of them, maybe today.

The older goose is ready to lay eggs I suppose and is acting strange. Now she will get near me and she grabs my sleeve with her beak, lays almost flat on the ground and digs her feet back and forth with her toenails in the ground. What is she doing?

Thanks.
She is wanting a mate badly, lol and looks like your it. Look forward to seeing pics of your geese. and
welcome-byc.gif

jarrecj155

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013

Hi Miss Lydia, it took me a while but I finally got decent internet service back here on the farm. Here they are...introducing Buster, Clover and Lucy. I will get a bigger pool for them next year when they become available in my area. Ha! Maybe Lucy will want to mate with me again next spring, at least she will sit on my lap and let me pet her and kiss her on the head. But Buster is around now and she may just want to mate with him. Buster and Clover are 10 months old as of Nov 13. Clover (the one in the picture with the half saddleback) has been laying eggs for a few months now, but I don't think Buster is mature enough yet to know what to do with both geese. A few months ago, Clover was on Buster's back in the pool!

livininbrazil

Songster
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
São Paulo State, Brazil.

Hi Miss Lydia, it took me a while but I finally got decent internet service back here on the farm. Here they are...introducing Buster, Clover and Lucy. I will get a bigger pool for them next year when they become available in my area. Ha! Maybe Lucy will want to mate with me again next spring, at least she will sit on my lap and let me pet her and kiss her on the head. But Buster is around now and she may just want to mate with him. Buster and Clover are 10 months old as of Nov 13. Clover (the one in the picture with the half saddleback) has been laying eggs for a few months now, but I don't think Buster is mature enough yet to know what to do with both geese. A few months ago, Clover was on Buster's back in the pool!
They´re gorgeous! I expect we´ll be hearing about Buster rasing goslings with both geese early next year!
big_smile.png
At 10 months, Buster will have it sussed! That is, if Buster´s definitely a guy! And I´m sure the older goose is so happy to have goose friends, well done. I´m sure you´ll really enjoy them.

SummerChick

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Somerset, Texas
Hi Everyone...Glad to find a forum dedicated to Pomeranian Geese. I moved here on the farm and fell in love with my boyfriend's older Grey Saddleback Pomeranian. She was alone and hadn't been fooled with too much, so she is always leary of me no matter how often or nice I talk to her. So I decided to get my own Grey Saddlebacks from babies to raise so they would like me. I ordered a pair from Ideal Poultry on-line and got 13 roosters along with them in order to keep my baby geese warm!  I got them all on February 14th and raised them all in a large box until a few weeks ago when I put them in a pen outside.  My geese are strickly pets.  Clover is the goose and Buster is the gander.  Lucy is the older goose.  I need to take some more recent pictures of them, maybe today.

The older goose is ready to lay eggs I suppose and is acting strange.  Now she will get near me and she grabs my sleeve with her beak, lays almost flat on the ground and digs her feet back and forth with her toenails in the ground.  What is she doing?

Thanks.

Welcome to BYC!! You geese are gorgeous!!

jarrecj155

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Hi, I'm back again. It's spring here, calendar wise that is. I want to know why my geese are getting on the back of my gander. Does he not know what to do and the females are trying to show him? When the females get on "Buster's" back, they are in the swimming pool that I have pictures of on here. He was a year old on Feb 13, is he old enough to mate? I know he is the gander, by his personality, and the other two geese have laid eggs. As a matter of fact, my other goose who was also a year old on Feb 13 has been sitting on a nest of eggs for about four or five days now. Does she know if her eggs are fertile, or is she just sitting on them regardless?

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom