New to geese please give advice

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chicksducks1, Apr 10, 2017.

1. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    Hello everyone! I'm getting ducks at the end of this month, I was also thinking of getting some geese as well. Has anyone had any experience raising the two together? Any tips on raising geese? What breeds does everyone prefer and why? Sorry for the questions! Thank you

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Geese and ducks do very well together :) You raise goslings pretty much the same way as ducklings, with the exception that goslings benefit from being taken out to graze when it's warm enough or being given fresh grass clippings if you can't get them outside.

What breed you want is going to depend on what you want the geese for. I prefer smaller breeds and I keep tufted roman geese, which I love.

3. chicksducks1

Mar 11, 2017
    I was planning on letting them free range during the day since I have the land to do it and my chickens seem to love free ranging. I was wanting them for meat and possibly a "Guard goose" as well as a cute addition to the flock. I was worried that since geese get bigger than ducks typically that raising them together could be dangerous combo

4. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

I got Welsh Harlequins ducks a year ago and raised 2 Tufted Buff geese with them. It worked fine getting them at the same time...they were all buddies. Lost the gander in the summer and couldn't find a replacement. :( So the goose has been by herself(she has new buddies on the way) since...with the ducks....with no problem...until she started laying too and laid her egg in the ducks nest. Literally all hell broke loose. Evidently my drake did NOT think that was cool and started terrorizing her to the point he wouldn't let her eat or drink. :( I was literally playing musical chairs with them to keep them separate while we built her a pen and little house...it runs parallel to the duck pen and she can see them through the wire. She wants badly to be back with them...it is like she has forgotten I had to rescue her from the drake. He had her pinned to the ground by the neck. :( Until then there were no problems. I am assuming spring brought about huge changes...and maturity.

Said all of this to say what I would do different. I LOVE my goose and do not regret having her. If I got a redo, two things I would do different: I would have gotten three geese instead of two but I thought one dying would never happen to me, but it did. Next I would make sure I had a way to separate if necessary...an immediate separation if needed. She and I did not need the stress of the few days it took to get things worked out.

Ducks are awesome but geese are very special. I don't regret having her at all and I know it is going to be even better when her two buddies get here. And better still when the three of them can free range my backyard which is my ultimate plan for the future. :)

5. chicksducks1

Mar 11, 2017
    That gives me a reason to buy even more just in case! Haha with free ranging geese will they fly away when the seasons change?

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Domestic geese can't fly :) Just like most breeds of domestic duck can't fly. They were bred to be too big for their wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by