New to geese: Sebastopol Nest box question

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Glenmar, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    My 4 Sebies have a 12x12 horse stalll at night with access to it during the day. They also have a yard off of the stall that is maybe
    30x48. I was thinking of putting a large dog house in one corner of the stall. Will they like that for a nest box?? I am not sure how many nest boxes I need. Will they share?? I don't know who is a girl and who is a boy.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    we give them whiskey barrels loaded with hay and pine shavings in the corners of their stalls. With not knowing ganders from geese it is hard to plan. For our trios we give each girl a barrel.

3. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I can leave the top off the dog house and just use the bottom, or do you thing they would like the top on?

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    To make it easier on you, I would leave the top off.
    I don't use a box with mine. I just fill their sleeping house with lots of fresh straw, and pile a bunch up in the corners. They do their own thing with it. If I have more than one female it will quickly become a community nest, and they will expand it so 2 girls can set or lay at the same time.
    I have one goose that will make a build up the nest around herself so high, you can barely see her head. [​IMG]

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Awe you have a shy goose who wants to hide so she thinks no one can see her..... How sweet.

I have dog kennels I use and the girls love them. But do not like when two try and nest in the same one if they get excited they trample the eggs and also the ganders go in and this screws up the fertile eggs from the stress of being trampled.....
    So we have dividers up in their big dog kennels 12' x 10' on one and just divided into three sections. Then have a 8' by 6' we will divide down the middle later. Have another 12' by 12' divided in 3 sections and a 12' by 6' we will divide in 2 sections later on. They keep nice and cozy with the tops tented with tarps and we have them around the sids as well with only the front open. We have wire on all the tops to prevent predators from crawling in. Then hardware cloth all around the bottoms to keep racoon critters hands out......

6. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Thanks. When should I put them in. I am so excited about baby Sebies.

7. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    You can start putting them in at night to get use to where they will be laying when time comes.

My sebbies each go into the one 12' x12' and then go into the area they like to be in. My ganders are already starting fighting amoung themselfs. If a certain gander gets too close to Samantha (white) goose, Grant (grey) gander claimed her over two years ago, he will grab them and fight yanking feathers out. So my lovely fluffballs are starting to get plucked. And it is only December.[​IMG]
    The weather has been pretty mild for being December. I already have one female laying and I am disposing the eggs. I do not want goslings now not until after Feb. [​IMG]

8. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    That's brilliant!! Where do you find whiskey barrels?

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

I'm too country I guess and only have a couple of pairs of geese but....

I just throw an old tire in the corner of the coop with some hay or straw in it. [​IMG]

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by