New to Geese! What is the best type of housing for geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by 2chicks poultry, Aug 28, 2013.

1. 2chicks poultry

2chicks poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    Hi everyone!I'm new to geese and I was just wondering if you geese scholars could help me figure out what is the best housing for medium to large geese? Please respond! Thanks![​IMG]

2. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a "hoop house" type of enclosure for night to keep them safe from predators. The houses are also within a 5 foot fenced area. From what I have read they do not need allot except to keep them from a draft, dry and anything that might want to eat them!

3. 2chicks poultry

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    Thanks for the info! So they don't need heat lamps? do they get cold easily? Also can you tell me how you made your coop, or maybe post some pics? Thanks! Please Respond.[​IMG]

4. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - I'm not too good with uploading pictures -- but I can explain the house, I think. We used 16ft horse panels -- one for a small house, 2 or 3 for larger houses. We use 2x6's - 2 on each side to clamp the panels to and to make the buildings more portable - the smaller ones skid pretty easily. Bend the horse panel and clamp into the 2x6 -- we use 3/4" rigid pipe with washers and fittings to keep it from spreading out (at the ends of the house) We also use a 2x6 at the ends of the house to keep it from coming in. We cut another horse panel to make the back and front (with a door in to middle of the front) We cover that all with Aviary netting, then the roof of the house with a heavy tarp. I hope that helps-- in my avitar picture you can see the back of one of the houses.

5. 2chicks poultry

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    Thanks! That's a good idea![​IMG] If you or anyone else has any other ideas on how to make a goose house please let me know![​IMG]

6. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    If they are little they need to be in a brooder.
    But if they are grown they can free range. I have around 50 geese and they are smart. At night they sleep with the dogs.
    I have kept my ducks and geese in pens, and I do have Calls and Wood ducks in pens, but I would rather them free range.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by