New to geese

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RealTreeMikey, Mar 28, 2015.

1. RealTreeMikey

RealTreeMikey New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    I'm new to geese and have a few questions. I got two Sebastopol geese and have had them for just about a year, just about the same time I got my ducks. Now my ducks have a thing about laying their eggs in small places such as buckets turned on their sides, boxes, and other small places yet they're always easy to find (I incubate the eggs during the colder winter months) so to my question, I can not for the life of me figure out where my geese are laying. Haven't seen any eggs from them at all and I have had them checked to make sure I have a male and female. I'm just curious as to their hiding spots or certain places they will only nest. It is on a farm and there is a small creek that runs through and they aren't caged at all. Any ideas on where I should be looking?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

My goose is jjust starting to lay for the year, I got the first egg of the year today. It's possible that your female isn't quite laying yet. My girl has for the past two years chosen the same spot - a corner in her coop. They like secure, secluded places and they will make a nest and lay all their eggs there. I would be checking her living quarters to see if she's started a nest in there.

3. RealTreeMikey

RealTreeMikey New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    I'll check around tomorrow, do you know if they tend to cover the eggs up with leaves or other things so they can't be seen?

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Welcome to Backyard chickens.

6. RealTreeMikey

RealTreeMikey New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Thank you guys!!! Or gals!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  8. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Mine will cover hers up with hay a bit, but nothing too extreme and you can usually still tell they're there. I think places you'll want to check are their living area, any bushes you have that she could get into, and other secluded places like that. As Kelsie said you should also pop over to the goose forum - there are lots of people there who'll be able to give you good advice :)

9. RealTreeMikey

RealTreeMikey New Egg

Mar 28, 2015
    Thank you so much!! I will definitely check in more secluded areas, and I will check out the goose forums!! Thank you again so much!!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

I've never kept geese or ducks, so don't have any advice. I would definitely post in the section that Kelsie2290 linked to for some good help.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by