New To Goats, I think my does is about to kid. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kbranam, Jan 27, 2015.

1. kbranam

kbranam New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    I am new to goats (used to have horses) and recently purchased two Nigerian Dwarf Does. One that had been with a buck for a month and the other a kid. We are not sure when the doe was covered (anywhere in September and first 1/2 of August. She was extremely skittish when I purchased her, she had very little human contact. Anyway, I gave her a CDT shot a few weeks ago. About a week ago she started pawing at the ground. Yesterday morning she started getting really restless, it looks like she has dropped because she is hollowed out in her hip bones, She wants me to stay with her, her vulva is poofy and pink. No discharge yet. She is restless, getting up and down frequently, wagging her tail a lot and is panting loudly. I cannot check her rear end because it scares her to death. She is also yawning a lot and tries to roll on her side but she is so big, she just rolls back. She has just started smelling her pee and curling her lip up. She is even coming up to me for getting pet and treats! Her udder is larger but not yet stretched tight. I am scared to let her be alone because I want to be here when she kids, just in case she needs help and for the bonding. I am actually typing this from her stall! lol. I have attached some pictures so you can see. Any ideas would be great!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Sounds like she is getting close! The udder doesn't have to be tight and shiny, that's a myth. Some does don't seriously fill up until after they kid.
    The picture of her stretching... it's what they do to get the kids in position. The other pics are typical "i'm fat tired uncomfortable and very pregnant" looks, lol.
    Can you check her ligaments? That will give you lots of info as to how close she is.
    When she does kid, get some of the birth goo on you and let her lick it off. It will really help your bond with her.
    The change in her behavior is very indicative of getting ready to kid. Just going off what you told me, I'd guess in the next couple days, BUT I'm not there and can't lay hands on the doe to know better, lol. If you notice any other significant filling of the udder, you can pretty well bet kidding in imminent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by