(new to group) not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aeetes, Oct 30, 2008.

1. aeetes

aeetes New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    hello,

i have 4 rhode island reds with a rooster. they're two 1/2 years old. this summer they went to 2 eggs and now only one.

we in a temperate climate that doesn't get too cold.

is that normal? i've heard that they should lay for 4 years and i've heard that they lay for 2 years.

would putting a light out help?

thanks.

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    They could be getting ready to molt as well. That usually happens in the fall, and not necessarily temperature driven as much as it is day light, or lack there of.
    If they start losing feathers around the head neck area first, that could be a sign of molting. They should restart in a month or so. You can also add supplemental light, they need 13-14 hrs./ day.

3. aeetes

aeetes New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    thanks. they are molting. one hen is really bad. but then they've been somewhat bare for a long time.

they haven't been giving eggs for nearly two months.

when i went to the fair this summer, someone told me that some of it was the rooster. but he usually only mounts them for a few seconds so i couldn't figure it being him.

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Light or no light, they will not lay many eggs when molting. If they were mine, I'd limit their light for about 6 weeks. Then, when they have completely re-feathered, and their legs and beaks are back to a bright yellow color, you can begin to increase their light (about 15 minutes each week). This will stimulate them to begin to lay again.

Of course, the breed of the hens plays a large part in their ability to lay eggs. Some breeds are poor layers (cochins, meat breeds, etc.). The dual-purpose breeds are generally pretty fair layers, and the production egglayers (leghorns, sex links, etc.) are very good layers. It all depends on what your tastes are.

As to your rooster only mating for a second or two---that's natural. There's not much foreplay, and the actual mating takes only a second. Wine and a nice dinner don't seem to be of much value either. It's just "slam, bam, thank you, maam".

5. aeetes

aeetes New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    thanks. most have there feathers back. rooster: yea - you nailed it.

hey, do you know how to make this forum email me when someone posts a rely like most other forums do?

well, they've had their break. now to the light...

do you know anything about rhode island reds - good layers (i guessing they're not - but we like them anyhow.)

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    see at the bottom on your left...where it says, "subscribe to this topic"? click on it and you will get emails when anyone posts a reply here. Also.... [​IMG]

7. aeetes

aeetes New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    thanks. i didn't know what that meant...

8. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Rhode Island Reds are fairly good layers, for a dual purpose breed. They are also fair for meat production. They are pretty good mothers, and seem to live quite a long productive life. If you're not into showing, be sure to get "production" reds. They lay better than the show type. Of course, the show reds look much better, and are usually larger and much darker than the production type. I once crossed some reds with a leghorn rooster. The resulting hens were excellent layers, although not as big as the purebred reds.

It's always fun to cross several breeds and see how they produce.

9. aeetes

aeetes New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    how does one tell when 'molting' is done? my hens, except one, all are looking real nice with their new feathers but i'm only getting one egg from the four girls (and none from the rooster).

thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by