New to group

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BentoMinion, Jan 6, 2013.

1. BentoMinion

BentoMinion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Hello!
    My name is Rose and I do not have any chickens or quail... yet. Last year I decided we were going to get some chickens for eggs. We had plans on a fall addition to our home. I was waiting to use the scraps from the addition to build my coop. Well, the plans fell through till mid summer this year. I decided I would just build my coop this spring and save any extra building material from the addition for another project.

Needless to say I am still in the learning and planning stages. checked local rules since we are in a township and I am allowed to have roosters (I don't really want them though) and I can have up to 10 chickens. My neighbor has ducks. So I know that neighbor will not have an issue. I am planning on putting my coop not to far from where they have theirs (since that really is the best spot) on my side of the fence.

I have to admit I am a little concerned about keeping the chickens warm in the winter. My parents grew up on ranches in Montana and they never had any source of heat in their coops. So I hope to figure something out like that. I have seen suggestions but have not decided on what exactly to do yet.

Personal: I have 4 children ranging from ages 5 1/2 to 1 years in age. We live in a township with just under an acre of land that is mostly fenced in. My eldest is autistic with sensory processing disorder. I do expect the kids to help me out with the chickens and what not, but the chickens are not their responsibility. We also have 3 cats (one is indoor/outdoor), fish, and 2 guinea pigs.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Hi Rose!!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Keeping the coop dry and draught free is usually enough for the chickens, once they are fully feathered. They are tougher than we think!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What Sumi said! Welcome to BYC.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, BentoMinion, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!! Best of luck to you and your birds!!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Mmm-hmm. It gets bitterly cold here and my birds do fine with nothing more than proper housing.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by