New to group

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LISA45612, Nov 15, 2014.

1. LISA45612

LISA45612 New Egg

Nov 15, 2014
    Hello everyone. I have had chickens for some time, but recently decided to buy an incubator and hatch chickens. My favorite breed is the silkie. I have white, black, buff, partridge, grey and I have been trying to get some splashes. I also have cochins, brahams, and other breeds. Any helpful information would be appreciated.

2. mistifier99

mistifier99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

Welcome :)

I too recently have bred chickens from an incubator. If it is an automatic one (that turns them automatically, you just have to make sure that your water levels are ok. But if you have one that you have to turn (which is what I had) I tried to turn them 3 times a day, and I would just turn it maybe a quarter.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I used to raise Black Silkies and they were delightful little birds; sweet, gentle, friendly, and funny. I can't imagine any incubator any better at hatching eggs than the Silkies themselves (ours hatched several broods for us), but you might want to post on our Incubating and Hatching Eggs section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs and take advantage of our experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatches.

4. mgarifo87

mgarifo87 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2014
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I am also new to the site and have silkies in addition I'm new to chickens. I can't help with the incubator situation because so far we have only gotten chicks, but I can say this is an awesome and helpful site! I wish you luck in finding the info you are looking for!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you need silkie info, head for the "Silkie thread," there are several but, this one I believe is the longest running . Glad you joined the flock

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies and cochin's go broody fairly often - you can swap out their eggs for any breed, and they will hatch and raise them like their own. A lot of folks have silkies just for that reason., they make the 'best incubators '

7. mgarifo87

mgarifo87 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2014
    That's why we got ours, hoping they will hatch our quail eggs for us [​IMG]
    a

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] go glad you joined us.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Silkies are a very cute breed to keep! Good luck with your hatches and we do welcome you to our flock!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Good luck with your hatches!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by