New to Guineas and new here!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by TarheelBirdy, May 7, 2011.

1. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new here....hello!

I grew up owning a horse....but at a boarding farm. I had animals, and have always loved all animals, but have to admit I knew nothing about poultry.

SO....when I married my husband six months ago, my horse and I moved to his farm in the country, and I was introduced to taking care of chickens....and now I love them. I guess its a natural thing, then, that I wanted guineas when I saw them at a neighbor's farm.

We got four adults....and got lucky in that they were two males and two females. We "homed" them by keeping them in the chicken house for a week or two, letting only one out first, then the others. They have all stayed. They coupled up, and one couple comes into the chicken house at night, but the other couple stays out, roosting in the trees.

We recently found where one of the hens is laying - 14 eggs. I took them and I am incubating them now. However, she stopped laying there. Is it because I raided her nest??

I had a scary incident yesterday......I heard the guineas making a racket at about noon, and it didn't stop. I went to look, and they were looking and pacing in the direction of the pasture. The horses were all looking in the same direction..... there was a coyote in the pasture. The guineas TOOK OFF and chased it away! Wow! The coyote disappeared into the woods, and my guineas made a racket for a good hour afterwards. Incredible.

I absolutely ADORE the way the act in front of the mirror. I put one in the chicken house for them.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    [​IMG]

Guineas are a lot of fun!

3. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I am enjoying them so much. My husband gets a huge kick out of how much time I spend taking care of my birds. It's just so rewarding.

My first "hatch" should be in about 10-12 days. I look forward to learning to care for keets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by