New to Guineas....color?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by SummerChick, Nov 2, 2012.

1. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Hi, i am new to guineas but not new with BYC, i acquired 8 guinea keets when they were about a week old, now they are about 2 months old. Came here to read a bit about them and had no idea all the different colors their are. Can anyone or Peeps, tell me the colors i have please?
    Went to your site Peeps and looked at all your beautiful pictures of yours and i can see how addictive hatching could be!!

Pic 1
    [​IMG]

Pict 2
    [​IMG]

Pic 3
    [​IMG]

I hope the pics are good enough to show their color...the darker ones have brown on the tips of their wings and were totally brown when they were younger.

2. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    I can't ID them, but they sure are cute. Mine are 10 weeks now (maybe 11) and their casques are only slightly larger than yours. Nice pictures!

3. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not sure, but it looks like you have pearl grey and peral grey pied. The lighter ones, I know are not coral blue, so maybe a lavander or light blue. I hope someone else...peeps will pop in and tell you what you have. Either way they are good looking guineas, enjoy them.

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Hi Summer,
    I see several Pied Pearl Greys (the pearled dark greys with white chests and brown on the wing tips... they will lose the brown after they molt again), and I see Lavenders (the pearled light blues). It's hard to tell from these pics but you might have a Brown in there too... (the bird at the top right in pic 1, and on the lower left in pic 2). Post more pics if you can, I should be able to tell you if I see a Brown for sure or not.

And yes, they are addicting... you might as well start building a new coop now lol.

5. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    [​IMG]Funny - when I started out, I thought "One coop will be plenty for me" and now, just a few weeks after the completion of our second coop, I'm planning another expansion for the spring. Will the madness ever end? :).

6. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Hi Peeps.... The darker ones are all the same or at least look it to me but would be great to have a brown one! I will try to get better pics but as soon as I snap the pic they move lol. I do like lavenders because one man told me they were pearls but I didn't think so. Thank you peeps.

Jleigh.... Yep building might be in the works soon!

Thanks everyone! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by