New to Guineas. Would like Advice. *Pics*

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Colourful, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Colourful

Colourful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    Hello everyone! This is my fist post here at BYC, and I have included a photo of my new babies!

[​IMG]

Now, I've wanted Guinea Fowl for a little while, and I finally found some 3 month olds. The man I went to buy them from had them and some 5 week olds. As you can see from the photo, I bought some of the latter, because he thought I'd asked for them instead and so he didn't have the 3 month olds any more. So here I am.

I've researched how to look after older keets, but I would love some advise on what to feed these guys and ask if they need any more extra heat. At the moment, I have them in with my Isa Brown chickens, who are a kind and docile lot. The picture above is them in the shed and the run itself is quite large and covered so they wont be flying out. I intend to let them out, free-range, like I do my chooks an about a month. Should I clip wings? At the moment, I'm giving them dandelion leaves, chook scratch mix and chook pellets.

I also have a batch of chook eggs on the incubator. When the new chicken chicks grow a little, would it be bad to have them with the main flock, like I've done in the past, or should I keep them separate from the guinea fowl? I live on a property, and we're building a 1/2 acre chook and duck run (we have a dam for the ducks and water hangers for the chooks so they don't contaminate the water source), so we will have the space.

Sorry, if I'm asking silly questions. I just want some advise from people who know the birds rather than looking through Google for a hundred different answers to the same question. :)

[​IMG]

Edit: Just randomly; one of my Isa Browns has taken to following the keets around and gently nudging them (definitely not pecking them). It's almost like she's grooming them, but I've never seen an Isa go broody before. Is this normal? Or just rediculously adorable?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. lillydaisy

lillydaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    I have 5 Guinea Fowl and they will fly up in trees if you don't teach them to roost in your chook pen at night and if they fly away (which they shouldn't) they will always come back at night[​IMG]
    And don't forget they don't fly like birds they either fly up, across or up and over[​IMG]

3. lillydaisy

Feb 2, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    This is what my 3 look like[​IMG]

4. lillydaisy

Feb 2, 2013
    Queensland Australia
  5. Colourful

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    They have such lovely colour. [​IMG]

Thank you for the advise.

6. lillydaisy

Feb 2, 2013
    Queensland Australia
    Your welcome in fact yours are the same colour as ours[​IMG]

7. Colourful

Jan 30, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    [​IMG] Yay! We have Guinea twins! I look forward to watching them grow. I live in Australia, and it's been years since I've seen grown Guineas.

8. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011

9. TarheelBirdy

TarheelBirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you didn't raise them from babies, keep them penned up as long as you can stand it. I recommend at least 7-8 weeks. I got some a couple of years ago that were a few months old and I penned them up for a month. They left the premises exactly one and a half minutes after I let them out and I never saw them again. Since then, I hatch and raise them. I might lose them to predators occasionally, but they stay close by.

Also, I would recommend that when you are ready to let them out to free-range, let only one out. If that one is coming back at night for a couple of nights, then start letting another one out with it, repeating this process until you eventually have them all successfully doing this.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by