New to Guineas!

guineagirl23

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
arkansas
Hey guys! New member of BYC here. We have raised chickens for almost 6 years now and wanted to try something new this spring. Well we decided on guineas. Im the person that cares for them, so theyre pretty much just mine lol. im 15 by the way. Ok anyway the first group we got came in a batch of 5, and we ended up with two. We were keeping them outside with a lamp to regulate the temperature. We recently got 6 more, along with 6 late eggs to hatch under one of our broody hens. All six we have now are doing alright,except for one. it has gotten PBS. I cleaned the vent and any poop on its feathers but it looks weak. anything I can do to help? Also we are keeping this batch inside, along with the other two older ones. oh, and has anyone ever heard of a guinea pecking a chicks beak off? Because we have one chick (no other place to put it) with them, and they peck and peck and peck its beak. Any helpful info for newbies is appreciated! Thanks all!

First,
welcome-byc.gif
: )

Secondly, forgive me, but what is PBS? Guineas need quite a bit of protein in their diet, much more so than chicks, otherwise they don't do so well. The first signs, in my experience, of lack of protein is that they get weak and I had a couple die before I knew what it was they needed. As far as pecking the new chick's beak, that's normal after it's hatched. Anything that hatches from an egg, hatches with what's called an egg tooth; it's located on the tip of the beak or nose of the critter that's hatching and it is white/ off-whitish in color. Well, if you've got a mama hen, she'll try pecking that tooth off her chick or the chicks/ keets like you've got will peck it off each other. There's something about egg teeth that is so addictive to little chickies or keets; once your little chick's egg tooth is gone, they should stop messing with it. If not, then you should be concerned. : )

a little warm, not hot sugar water helps them get going. my chick starter didnt agree with mine and i swithed to flock raiser and i also put a little of their sugar water in their food just to moisten it.. once they figure out how good it is they will eat out of ur hand. good luck

First, :welcome : )

Secondly, forgive me, but what is PBS?  Guineas need quite a bit of protein in their diet, much more so than chicks, otherwise they don't do so well.  The first signs, in my experience, of lack of protein is that they get weak and I had a couple die before I knew what it was they needed.  As far as pecking the new chick's beak, that's normal after it's hatched.  Anything that hatches from an egg, hatches with what's called an egg tooth; it's located on the tip of the beak or nose of the critter that's hatching and it is white/ off-whitish in color.  Well, if you've got a mama hen, she'll try pecking that tooth off her chick or the chicks/ keets like you've got will peck it off each other.  There's something about egg teeth that is so addictive to little chickies or keets; once your little chick's egg tooth is gone, they should stop messing with it. If not, then you should be concerned.   : )

PBS is poopy butt syndrom lol. he is weak from that everybody else is doing well. Oh and they didnt just peck off the egg tooth. Like he has almost half of his beak gone and a bit of the lower beak. Its growing back but slowly. we are trying water and sugar to get the little guy up and moving. Also my parents refuse to buy game starter for now. What can I do to help them without that?

Ok I added sugar water to theyre feed and the weak one is eating it now so keep your fingers crossed!

These are my little guys! :D

yes, lol. all guinea keets will lay down anyway they can, looks like their dead sometimes! i have scrambled eggs for my keets , messy but all protein. not sure about ur chicks beek, mabey a vitamin def. little keets cant do that. they are just adding insult to injury. no medicated feed for guineas so ive heard.

Oh, my. Okay, you know what you're talking about when you say they're pecking its beak off. The best thing to do would be to get a separate (it can be a smaller) box and put the chick in there so they stop pecking it. Watch for any infection and make sure that it's able to eat.

As far as increasing protein, what we did was took some meat scraps and tossed it in there for them to eat. Ours really improved after that. We also make sure they have plenty of chick feed all the time- just like with chicks. If you don't have meat scraps, look into other protein rich foods that are okay to give guineas. Scrambling some eggs would probably be good protein if you haven't got meat to give them.

Hmmm...our keets very much may have layed like that. Silly how they like to 'sun' bathe! : )

yes, lol. all guinea keets will lay down anyway they can, looks like their dead sometimes! i have scrambled eggs for my keets , messy but all protein. not sure about ur chicks beek, mabey a vitamin def. little keets cant do that. they are just adding insult to injury. no medicated feed for guineas so ive heard.

Thanks! I will have to try the eggs tomorrow!

Oh, my. Okay, you know what you're talking about when you say they're pecking its beak off. The best thing to do would be to get a separate (it can be a smaller) box and put the chick in there so they stop pecking it.  Watch for any infection and make sure that it's able to eat.  

As far as increasing protein, what we did was took some meat scraps and tossed it in there for them to eat.  Ours really improved after that.  We also make sure they have plenty of chick feed all the time- just like with chicks. If you don't have meat scraps, look into other protein rich foods that are okay to give guineas.  Scrambling some eggs would probably be good protein if you haven't got meat to give them. 

Hmmm...our keets very much may have layed like that.  Silly how they like to 'sun' bathe! : )

A bit of good news so far! The keet os already improving a bit. I took an eyedropper to put a tiny bit of sugar water in the side of his beak so he wouldn't inhale it. He has perked up quite a bit after eating the chick starter mixed with sugar water. Question about the Poopy Butt, do they usually have swollen vents? Because the keet looks close to a prolapse except it isn't dark red and bloody. its just very puffy and light pink. thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom