new to hatching - a few questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kris41, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kris41

kris41 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    OK, so I just found out that I am going to be able to borrow an incubator today and try to hatch some eggs for the first time. I have had some eggs sitting on my counter for 1 week. Can I put these into the incubator or should I get some new ones? I am assuming that I shouldn't use the ones in the fridge at all, right? I don't know what kind of incubator it is, but I do know that it doesn't have a turner. Can I just tilt the whole incubator (I think I have read this somewhere) or should I turn every egg? Any other help of links would be very much appreciated. My girls and I are so excited. Thanks so much.

Kristie

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    If you have been turning the eggs on your counter every day, they should be fine. If not, get some new ones. They might have trouble with being stuck to one side of the egg, if they haven't been turned. DO NOT use the eggs in the fridge. They very likely will NOT hatch.

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    So long as your eggs on the counter are fertile, they should be ok to incubate. The recommended temperature for hatching eggs is not below 55 degrees (according to the information I have found for storage of fertile hatching eggs)

4. kris41

kris41 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I have been turning them since I got them. I can't wait. I guess I am not getting the incubator until tomorrow after all. All of the eggs we have eaten have been fertile.

Kristie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by