New to Hatching and Incubating, Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ramblin Rooster, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm soon going to be purchasing an incubator so that I can hatch whatever breeds I want and I have a few questions for all those incubator and hatching eggsperts out there:

What Incubator do you recommend for hatching eggs that is under $200?

Will my silkie hens raise any chicks I hatch whether or not they're broody?

Where can I pick eggs so I get a few of each breed, not a dozen of a just one kind of breed?

I was thinking a brinsea mini advance incubator would be good for me, how can I optimize the amount of chicks I can hatch at one time?

What incubators have the biggest capacity of eggs for $200 or less? Is it reliable and what are the reviews.

Thanks sooo much, and I would appreciate as much incubator information as possible as I may purchase one for christmas or in the beginning of the new year.

Yours in Chicken Keeping,
    Farmer Sam (Sam's chickens)

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’ll tackle a couple of these

Will my silkie hens raise any chicks I hatch whether or not they're broody?

No. They will not.

Where can I pick eggs so I get a few of each breed, not a dozen of a just one kind of breed?

You can go to the right section on this forum and advertise for exactly what you want, or you can find someone selling the breeds you want and pm them. Tell them exactly what you want and see if you can work out a deal.

Or you can find your State thread in the “Where am I? Where are you!” section and post on there. You might find someone local that can provide you with hatching eggs or maybe split an order for a dozen.

3. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    Really? I heard silkies are always begging to be broody!

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    My silkies were always begging to be a mom. but maybe not broody. although I have a cochin/silky and a silky/ee mix that both are sitting on phantom eggs right now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by