New to hatching babies...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tessie1, Oct 19, 2015.

1. tessie1

tessie1 New Egg

Oct 19, 2015
    I have many questions tht google and books are not helping with.
    My main question for now is:
    If the hen is breaking Her eggs when she moves them around is it OK to move them to my incubator? They should be hatching in the next week or so.

2. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I have done that. If you are trying to keep her broody so that she will raise the chicks you can try to replace her eggs with fake eggs. They sell them at the feed store. Then you can move the live eggs to the bator. When they hatch out you can try to move them up and under the mom. You need to do it quietly, night time is best. Then try to watch without bothering her to make sure that she accepts the babies. I did it with 2 of my hens in September and worked out just fine.

1 person likes this.
  3. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Oh and welcome![​IMG]

4. tessie1

tessie1 New Egg

Oct 19, 2015
    Thank you, how long are my eggs OK in the bator if they hatch while I'm working?

5. tessie1

tessie1 New Egg

Oct 19, 2015

How long are the babies OK in the incubator if they hatch while I'm at work?

6. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    If you are going to move them under a broody mom do it that night when they hatch. I have been told you can do it up to 3 days but I would do it As soon as you can. Chicks in general can remain in the Bator until all of the chicks are done hatching.

7. Collins Chicks

Collins Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Wendell,NC
    [So I have a Japanese hen that is Brody and I got fertile eggs for her 15 total. She has kicked two out and tonight when I went out to the coop my silkie was sitting in half the eggs with her. Is this normal

8. tessie1

tessie1 New Egg

Oct 19, 2015

Thank you so very much!

9. kuchchicks

Apr 8, 2015
    Silkies are very broody. It is not uncommon for them to be broody A LOT. But two hens in a box is asking for trouble. Eggs are going to get stepped on. Is the silkie broody do you think or just snuck in there? If she's broody you could consider putting a couple eggs under her in a different box. But if she really is NOT broody she will get off the eggs and they may cool and you could lose them. I would move the silkie out.

10. Collins Chicks

Collins Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Wendell,NC
    She seems to have been in there one or two times. I think she was curious. She hasn't started laying yet. I did put some fake eggs separate but she wasn't interested. She is perching at night and back to normal routine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by