New to hatching chickens, does anyone know how to sex them from birth?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by friskebluegills, Jul 20, 2010.

1. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Hi, We are are hatching some chicks and people want only hens. They are only a couple days old and we don't know what to tell them.
    Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would love to know this as well....

3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    There are a few ways to sex chicks.

1. Vent sexing - extremely difficult and takes years of practice usually done by professionals
    2. Wing sexing - it has to be a breed that has different length pin feathers for males and females (can't recall which breeds do)
    3. Sex link - hybrid breed that hatches different color down for males and females (there's a stickie in the breeds section that tells you how to make a sex link)

Otherwise, it's just the wait and see method!

4. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Some breeds you can, some you can't.

What breeds are you working with?

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    There are many methods "invented" by different people, but when hatching at home, I don't offer any guarantees on sex. If you try sexing them and you are wrong, you can bet that they will be calling you if you are wrong.

6. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Unless you're an expert (and if you are, you probably work for a hatchery) you are better off selling them as "straight run". Plus, even the experts are wrong on occasion. [​IMG]

7. friskebluegills

friskebluegills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks everyone. We are working with Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks, we also have some blue giant cochins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by