New to Hatching Chicks- Question

audra82

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 3, 2014
A few months ago I got 8 Silkies from my friend. About a week ago one of the hens went broody. She has been aggresive when I've come near her to see how many eggs she's sitting on but yesterday I got a look and there were 17 (not all hers). I'm assuming the eggs are being added at different days so I'm worried when they start hatching she will "abandon" the remaining eggs.

Weirdly, earlier today I noticed she had "kicked out" about 8 eggs. I thought maybe the eggs were bad and that's why. I didn't touch them but after about an hour I went and checked again and they were back under her.

So now I'm wondering what I should do. Should I let her be and let nature take its course or candle the eggs tonight and mark then remove any that aren't developing.

Does anyone have suggestions? Also this picture the white Silkie is the broody one and my Golden Laced Wyandotte was keeping her company briefly.

10846150_10102273261118409_525443311187317393_n.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

First, do not let other hens in with her as if they are laying eggs as well, she is not going to set full term on all these eggs. You want a broody to set on a clutch of eggs that are all at the same point of development. So section her off so nobody lays any eggs in her clutch. Candle these eggs and mark them. Keep the ones that look similar in development and mark them. The others you can either leave with her or put them in an incubator. You can even give them to another broody. You might also collect these left over eggs after she abandons them when a few chicks hatch.

Good luck with your broody hatch!

I did that and 12 were the same development. I marked them front and back. I could see eyes and veins. What day of development do you think they are?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You got some good advice here. Best of luck with the hatch!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom