New to hatching. Chicks stopped moving!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gothicangelnico, Jan 10, 2013.

1. gothicangelnico

gothicangelnico Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Utah
    So I got two eggs nearing lock down. I am using a homemade bator and the humidity is pretty good and heat is good. But his morning my alarm didn't go off to turn them and they are not moving.
    They are eggs from my EE and fathered by my silkie roo or one of my Serama roo's. I am thinking they are fathered from my Serama roo that just passed due to the cold before new years. That's why I am freaking out right now about these hatching. I really want these babies if they were his!
    Please help! Tell me this is normal!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Turning is only vital for the first 13 days , after that we all seem to turn till day 18 but its the first 13 days that are super vital so you should be fine in regards of the turning. Some times the eggs move around a day or two befor pipping more simpley cuase they are jockying into postion for pipping and getting ready to hatch and once in postion may not move as much. Hopefully someone with much more knowlege and better ability to give information will help you soon. But if temps and humidity are good its probly just fine in there [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. gothicangelnico

Jul 19, 2011
    Utah
    Oh thank you. Thank you. They are on day 14 and 15. I even braved this winter storm to run to my friend's house to get her humidity and thermometer gauge. They haven't moved for quite a while and I hope I haven't damaged them in my panic!

4. gothicangelnico

Jul 19, 2011
    Utah
    They still haven't moved. No change in them at all when I candle them. Even tapping them nothing. I think I may have messed up somewhere. I'm so sorry Dean! I really wanted to hatch your babies for you!.

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    They get to big to move around a lot after awhile. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be ok. You could post a picture of one while you candle so we can see what it looks like if that will ease your mind. You have 3 or so days till lock down and another few till they should hatch. What ie your temp and humidity?

6. gothicangelnico

Jul 19, 2011
    Utah
    temp is at 99 degrees and humidity...around 40%

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by