1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to hatching chicks!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ashleysmom, May 14, 2016.

1. ashleysmom

ashleysmom Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Ravena NY
    Hi my name is Karla I have a silki sitting on five eggs for the first time I've never done this and am more stressed than when I had my own kids lol she initially kicked two eggs out of the box about day ten one was nothing but a yolk one was partially developed now it's day 21 so I'm very anxious

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] , and good luck with the hatching.

3. ashleysmom

ashleysmom Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Ravena NY
    Well there's five eggs I just candles them three seem to have solid air sacks and one is clear and one has an air sack but what looks like a lot of liquid floating around so I guess it's three out of five but I can't see any movement in the eggs with air sacks should I? Grated I am using a cell phone flash light lol

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may want to post on the "Incubation and Hatching thread." I have no experience with either. Were these local eggs or shipped eggs?

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Once i set eggs under a broody, i usually leave them alone and the momma generally knows what she is doing. If you are on day 21 (actually day 22 from setting) then you should be able to hear some peeps from the chicks, and hear momma clucking to them. If its her first attempt at sitting she may not have done too well and if that turns out to be the case, don't worry as she will get the hang of it next time (hopefully).

Hope all goes well

CT

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us over here! I hope your sweet hen has some babies by now? Broody hen hatches are amazing and one of my favourite parts of chicken keeping. I found though, that even under those "perfect" conditions, chicks are going to do what they do. I've had broody hatched chicks arrive as late as day 25!

8. ashleysmom

ashleysmom Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Ravena NY
    Still nothing! I just cleaned the coop today and changed all her bedding and treated for mites and lice cause I spotted a few on her and I wanted to get that done we candled the eggs three def are dark with air sacs and were pretty sure we saw movement in at least one I just went back out and I think my bard rock may be brooding now lol! God help me!

9. ashleysmom

ashleysmom Just Hatched

May 14, 2016
    Ravena NY
    Someone help! My baby chick has something hanging off its but like a red bean, what is this??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by