new to hatching confused over temp and humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by James89, Aug 20, 2016.

1. James89

James89 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    Okay so I made my own incubator and temp goes up and down with no stable rate using a thermostat to a 40w bulb and I have a digital thermometer and hydrometer will upload some pics both my temp and humidity change a lot have the humidity going between 45% to 50% and temp from 97.4 - 99.5 wondering if this is normal or any suggestions how to fix the issue

2. James89

James89 New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Is there a fan in the incubator? Forced air (fan) temps should be 99.5 but still air (no fan) should be 101-102. I think you might want to try a stronger bulb to get your temp up. I'm sorry, I know nothing about diy incubators so I'm not exactly sure how you would go about upping the temp. But there are many good threads on byc for homemade incubators.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I use an 11 watt and a 15 watt bulb (appliance size) which gives me better control over temperature, but I had a temp spike last night when the ac quit running so I have a thermostat I am putting on a lamp socket now. I also have a couple of quart jars with lids full of water in the cooler to stabilize the temperature somewhat. It holds heat and releases it when the lamps are off, heats up slowly when they are on

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by