New to hatching eggs ..PLease help..chukars in particular

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by martinag1, Sep 13, 2010.

1. martinag1

martinag1 New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    I am just incubating my first batch of Chukar eggs in a Hovabator still air incubator. Before i started i read as much as i could about incubating eggs and what i dont understand is that if temp and humidity and other factors are so critical then why do i get different websites stating different temperatures and humidities. Its confusing . For humidity i read that i should be 40-50 % 55-60% 65% ( i use a hygrometer instead of wet bulb) So far im at 102 degrees for temp , i think thats right for still air measured at top of eggs, but what should the humidity be , im at day 20 and my humidity is about 70% . Im only down to 2 good eggs now out of 14 [​IMG] Are temp / humidity levels more or less the same for all eggs ?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I don't even know what a Chukar but I hatch a lot of chicken eggs.

Your outside humidity, outside temperature an incubator ventilation levels are going to effect your hatch. Your humidity that you run is to adjust for these things so no one can say what humidity you should run.
    This explains it better. http://cmfarm.us/ventilation.html

3. martinag1

martinag1 New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    Well the outside humidity is 17% and room temperature of about 79F. I put the incubator into a mini green house with some ventilation to raise the humidity for the last few days. But how do you know if you have the right ventilation. Is it all trial and error ?

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Its mostly trial an error but you can candle the eggs an use that to make adjustments.
    Chickens [​IMG]

Ducks[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by