New to hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mamaoflots, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Mamaoflots

Mamaoflots Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Hi there, we have currently 2 eggs in the incubater, they just rolled over to 3 days to go. The excitement is building in our house(with gentle reminders that they may not be viable) not sure who is more excited, me or the kids!

I have just inserted the plastic case to prevent damage to the turning mechanisms and noticed that my Light sussex egg has a funny bulbous band around the middle part. Is this a good sign, bad sign or indifferent?

Thanks
    Zoe

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its probably just a malformation of the shell, that has nothing to do the internal contents of the egg. I don't think that it will impact the hatchability of the egg. A photo would help me better figure out what you are dealing with, though.

If I were you, I would candle (it means shine a bright light into each egg in a dark room in order to see the contents) the eggs so that you can remove any obviously non-fertile or dead ones, as bad eggs can explode and contaminate other eggs.

I assume the eggs you are incubating are chicken eggs? If you candle today (day 18 of incubation, or so you said), a good egg would appear as a mostly dark egg, with a few blood vessels visible near the air cell, and occasional movement. After today or tomorrow, though, do not candle the eggs any more, as the embryos will be getting into their hatching positions.

Good luck with your hatch! Its always so fun incubating eggs and hatching chicks. [​IMG]

3. Mamaoflots

Aug 3, 2013
    I tried candling a week ago, but the shells are too thick. I couldn't get a good enough look. I am pretty sure though, I have seen both eggs have a wiggle over the last 2 days.

Yes both chicken eggs, one a light sussex and one from a mixed collection.

Will try and see if I can get a pic!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, I guess it will be a surprise as to how many hatch. And okay, I'll be waiting.

5. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Two days and 11 hours to go Mamaoflots lol. It's exciting huh? I have my first eggs due to hatch next week and I can't wait. Hope it goes well for you :)

6. Mamaoflots

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah, cant wait! What breed are you hatching?

We are moving house shortly, but once we have moved we will be hatching more!

Having a discussion with kids about names. I want to name them, the kids each have a chicken that they named, now its my turn. Haha. Let us know when they hatch, and show us pics.

7. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Picking chick names lol, fun stuff [​IMG]

I'm hatching Wyandottes, Silkies, Polish, Leghorns, and a mix but I can't remember what the mix is lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by