New to hatching - Incubator Question

Pics

Khelms829

Chirping
Aug 27, 2021
Hey guys I’ve been a long time follower of this site and I’ve gained such valuable information to ensure my ladies (my flock) are happy, healthy, and safe…. Now I need your expertise advice on hatching….
I am almost at the end of day 18 in incubating eggs so I am about to have to put them on lockdown but I’m concerned with something. I used my mom’s no name China incubator for the first 18 days, after I determined the safe use of it as it was all over the place with temp and humidity, but this evening im putting them in lockdown in the new incubator that we purchased from Tractor Supply. The no name China incubator has the heating fan in the bottom of the incubator and several of the videos and reviews I watched said that those incubators get too hot when it comes time to putting them on the hatching floor. So my husband got the one from tractor supply. It’s a Farm Innovations 4250 I believe. The heating fan is on the top with that one. So I set up a thermo/hygrometer to confirm the temps and the temps on the hatching floor are showing 97-98 degrees when the digital readout on the incubator is showing 100.5, but when I put the thermo/hygrometer at the top with the incubators sensors it’s matching the temps on the digital readout.

I don’t want them to be too cold since the floor is that much lower but if I turn up the temp it makes it 102 at the top. What do I need to do to ensure the best possible outcome?

2 of these eggs are very important to me, they came from 2 chickens that got killed by a neighbors dog but these chickens were more to my flock because of personality (I know it may sound ridiculous to some because they are chickens). I’ve gone through heck with this incubation including losing power 6 times in 11 days, I’m sure I spent $50 on gas for the generator just to keep them incubated. I’ve candled them and they are all alive and thriving with the proper air cell so I would hate to lose them in the last 3 days. I understand a lot of it is out of my control but I want to give them the best chance at survival.
Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Hey guys I’ve been a long time follower of this site and I’ve gained such valuable information to ensure my ladies (my flock) are happy, healthy, and safe…. Now I need your expertise advice on hatching….
I am almost at the end of day 18 in incubating eggs so I am about to have to put them on lockdown but I’m concerned with something. I used my mom’s no name China incubator for the first 18 days, after I determined the safe use of it as it was all over the place with temp and humidity, but this evening im putting them in lockdown in the new incubator that we purchased from Tractor Supply. The no name China incubator has the heating fan in the bottom of the incubator and several of the videos and reviews I watched said that those incubators get too hot when it comes time to putting them on the hatching floor. So my husband got the one from tractor supply. It’s a Farm Innovations 4250 I believe. The heating fan is on the top with that one. So I set up a thermo/hygrometer to confirm the temps and the temps on the hatching floor are showing 97-98 degrees when the digital readout on the incubator is showing 100.5, but when I put the thermo/hygrometer at the top with the incubators sensors it’s matching the temps on the digital readout.

I don’t want them to be too cold since the floor is that much lower but if I turn up the temp it makes it 102 at the top. What do I need to do to ensure the best possible outcome?

2 of these eggs are very important to me, they came from 2 chickens that got killed by a neighbors dog but these chickens were more to my flock because of personality (I know it may sound ridiculous to some because they are chickens). I’ve gone through heck with this incubation including losing power 6 times in 11 days, I’m sure I spent $50 on gas for the generator just to keep them incubated. I’ve candled them and they are all alive and thriving with the proper air cell so I would hate to lose them in the last 3 days. I understand a lot of it is out of my control but I want to give them the best chance at survival.
Any suggestions?? Thanks!
I’m not understanding..putting them on the floor? Gail Damerow’s book “Hatching and Brooding..” is an excellent resource..

I still don’t understand..do you mean turning off the Turner? You’re removing them from the incubator?
I guess I don’t get it because my incubator, you take the Turner thing out and there’s a surface right there, you don’t take the eggs out..

I guess I don’t get it because my incubator, you take the Turner thing out and there’s a surface right there, you don’t take the eggs out..
You have to take them out of the egg turner and put them on their sides that’s what I meant about taking them out. My concern is there is a huge temperature variation from where they sit in the automatic turner to the hatching floor.

You have to take them out of the egg turner and put them on their sides that’s what I meant about taking them out. My concern is there is a huge temperature variation from where they sit in the automatic turner to the hatching floor.
Set the incubator on top on an insulating surface, like an old sheet of packing foam or a folded bath towel to minimize heat loss, measure temps from the eggs‘ location..never wrap the incubator completely even during a power loss or you could deprive the eggs of oxygen. I guess I’m not seeing the problem, sorry if I’m not helping..

There's an online manual for that model and it gives details for placement of the eggs for lockdown.

If you have some cloth wire you can make a box platform to the same height as the turn and place a shelf liner on top for the eggs to lay on if that height reads more accurately.

I always take my temps from top of eggs with or without turner in. yes there is a difference. I just adjust temp I use separate thermometers and set at top edge of eggs, in turner or not.

Back
Top Bottom