new-to -hatching?Let momma do it.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gimmie birdies, Mar 1, 2013.

1. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Okay new-to-hatchers out there, I know you want to have babies birdies and you have a broody, what is next? So if you are going to let broody do it, you should save up the eggs you want to use in a cool mudroom in your house until you have enough eggs so that you can place them under your hen all at one time, so they have the same hatch date. silkies- no more than 9 eggs 7 better. under a big broody I would not place more than 12. (It is best not to let hens keep laying in the same nest- 40 eggs under a hen while looks cute will not hatch, and the mom will want to walk off with the ones that do hatch. leaving the other eggs.)

Now you have your broody and you have your eggs. If you move broody now she may not take to a new spot. they get to liking one lay spot. what I do is let broody have her fav. spot and put a cubby door over the opening. I let her out in the morning to eat and poop. (yes they hold it) 15-20 a day.

If you decide not to put a door on the nest box, then mark the eggs so she doesn't keep any new eggs just the ones you chose for her. If she switches nest on you, it is probably because another hen kicked her off the nest, just put her back on her nest, and the bonus is the other hen sat while laying.

After the 21 days the chicks and mom will need a brooder spot till they get a bit older, 2-3 weeks before I would mingle, plus depending on how cold it is, maybe 4-6. At 6 weeks the chicks can run and fly better than the hens, so they should be okay. But as they hatch you may want to move mom, new chicks, and unhatched eggs to a brooder, if the nest box is high up. mom will not shun the move once the chicks start to hatch.

Happy hatching.[​IMG]

2. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    15-20 min a day sorry.

3. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    this is my momma hen with store chicks, later we introduced her to chicks we hatched to go with these, and she accepted all babies, even hatched some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by