New to hatching my own chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Brom014, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Brom014

Brom014 New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    So I am new to hatching my own chicks and have a few questions and will also take what ever tips y'all are willing to throw my way, so here goes. First how soon do I need to put my eggs into the incubator after they have been laid? I'm not always standing right there as it happens and when I collect eggs sometimes they are cold or obviously just laid due to being very warm. Second I have heard if I crack an egg, say while cooking it and see a "red spot" in or near the yoke then that means it is fertilized??? Third... I have heard that you candle the eggs at 5 days, if there is no chick inside do y'all still eat the eggs at that point due to them being in a heated environment for 5 days and finally how critical is it to turn the eggs every 24 hours, say if we are gone for the weekend??? Ok that's all I got, I really do appreciate all the input, thanks everyone

2. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    Okay I'll try to answer now a expert but 1 chicken eggs can be stored in a cool room pointy end down for up to 7 days before they start losing fertility 2nd yes the red dot should mean its growing and is fertile but it has been incubated for a few days 3rd candle at day 7 and I would not recommend eating the eggs remember incubators are excellent places for bacteria to grow as well as chicks and a min of 3 turns a day is reccomended if the egg is left unturned the chick and yolk can stick to the side of the egg and not form properly I do believe there is a article in learning center on the site incubation 101 or something like that is a lot of help I strongly recommend you visit the learning center hope it helps

3. rayray983

rayray983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    cushman arkansas
    Not a expert*

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    There are some fantastic tips in this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 So, before you start read through there. Let's see, questions...

First how soon do I need to put my eggs into the incubator after they have been laid?

Ideally within the first 7 days. After day 7 the hatchability of the egg starts dropping and by the time the egg is 14 days old the hatchability will have dropped significantly. After 3 weeks you may run into problems.

If I crack an egg, say while cooking it and see a "red spot" in or near the yoke then that means it is fertilized???

No, that's a myth :) The red spot you sometimes see on the yolk is a "blood spot". Sometimes when the yolk is released at the start of the egg formation process, an small blood amount of blood is released and this blood gets encased in the shell with the rest of the egg contents. It can show up in the albumen (white) or on the yolk. (More info on that here: Common egg quality problems) It has nothing to do with fertility.

I have heard that you candle the eggs at 5 days, if there is no chick inside do y'all still eat the eggs at that point due to them being in a heated environment for 5 days

Personally, I wouldn't. I candle at day 7 to check for development, as before then you will usually not be able to enough to be sure, and again at day 10 before I discard any clear eggs. I've never eaten an egg I've removed from the incubator, but I can imagine that egg would be a bit stale after a few days in that heat. Also there is always the possibility that the egg have been developing and it wasn't noticeable when candling. I nearly got caught out a few months ago by eggs that showed no sign of life until 2 days before they hatched!

how critical is it to turn the eggs every 24 hours

Turning is very important during the first 2 weeks, especially the first week. After 14 days it's not essential, but I prefer to turn the eggs regularly (at least 3 times a day) until I lockdown on day 18. You can turn the eggs as often as you want. Did you know broody hens turn their eggs up to 53 times a day! So you cannot really overdo it. Aim to turn them at least 2 times a day, if you can.

Best of luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by